The University's Web site represents Villanova University to prospective students, alumni, the general public and the on campus community. To that end its content and appearance should adhere to professional standards. A University template is provided within the AEM system to provide common look and feel and common navigation throughout Villanova University's site. Authors are responsible for editing the content of and maintaining their sites.
Dynamic information (course enrollment, tuition, directory information, etc.) should be retrieved from the institution's operational data base or data warehouse. When time sensitive data is published, the time frame should be stated for which the data applies.
Guidelines for Departmental Website Authors
Certain content on the University's Web site is required to be secure. Secure web sites require visitors to the page to authenticate using their Villanova username and password. Authors should review the informaiton below as a guideline to determine if their site should be secure. UNIT may also contact Web site Authors to request they secure their Web site within AEM/CQ.
Level 1: Public Information (Information that is not harmful and can remain public and unsecured).
Examples: General information, course catalogs, faculty and staff information, information about academic departments and programs.
Level 2: Villanova University general information (Information that should be kept confidential and secure but would not cause harm).
Examples: Maps, buildings, Villanova community specific information.
Level 3: Villanova University specific information (Information that needs to be confidential and secured).
Examples: Financial information, student information, information relating the use of university systems and software intended for employees.
If you have any questions about securing your webpages, please contact UNIT @ 610-519-7777.
- Villanova University Web sites contain links to external Web sites. The university is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of external web sites which departments use.
- Villanova University complies with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), which prohibits the release of education records without student permission. Villanova University also complies with state and federal regulations protecting personal health information of patients, employees and general Web site visitors.
- The university does its best to ensure that the personal information we have about you is accurate. Although no computer system is 100% secure, Villanova University has deployed extensive security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, or alteration of the information under our control.
Villanova Personal Homepage Service Guidelines
This applies to all personal homepages of users at Villanova University.
Ownership and Management of Personal Homepages
- Villanova University provides personal homepages for active faculty, staff, and students on a request basis.
- UNIT is solely responsible for hosting the homepage.
- The faculty, staff, or student is responsible for managing content.
- If the content or appearance violate the policy on Ethical Conduct for Use of Computing and Communication Resources, the student code of conduct or any other University policy, the University reserves the right to remove the user's personal site from the server, discontinue the person's account and take such other action as may be necessary in its discretion.
Personal Homepage Lifecycle
The personal homepage of a faculty and staff member will be available for the duration of the individual’s account. The homepage will be purged and deleted when the users account is removed from the system. The personal homepage of a student will be available for one semester after their last enrolled and active semester. See Email Policy for additional details regarding account lifecycle.