Villanova Law Library Excellence in Student Research Prize
In order to recognize the outstanding achievements in legal research of the students at the Villanova Law school, the Law LIbrary has created the Villanova Law Library Excellence in Student Research Prize. The prize will be given out annually to one student who meets the criteria and is currently seeking a degree from the Law School.
To be elgible to win, applicants must:
- Be of 2L (JD), 3L (JD), or LLM status at Villanova University Charles Widger School
- Have written a scholarly research paper in the time period spanning June, 2021 – May, 2022.
- Only one paper may be submitted per applicant.
- May include papers written for a seminar course or directed research (journal notes and work product generated through externships or employment will not be accepted)
- Must be a minimum of 10 pages in length
- Must be written in proper Bluebook format
- Must be properly footnoted
- One or two pages (double-spaced) summarizing the research process involved, the lessons learned from that research process, the original purpose for which the paper was written, and the professor for whom the paper was written, if applicable.
- Entries must include author’s name, law school year, degree anticipated, and contact information.
Papers will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Sophistication, originality, or unusual depth or breadth in the use of research materials, including, but not limited to, print resources, electronic search engines and databases, primary and secondary legal resources, interdisciplinary resources, and empirical resources
- Exceptional innovation in research strategy, including the ability to locate, select, and evaluate research materials with discretion
- Skillful synthesis of research results into a comprehensive scholarly analysis
Papers that are selected to win will receive a prize of $150 and the paper will be featured in the Law Library's display case.