STUDENT RESOURCES AND EVENTS
Building a community of students, alumni, faculty, and friends who share a passion for public service is central to the Department of Public Administration.
Students interested in a career in local government are encouraged to join Villanova's International City/Council Management Association (ICMA) student chapter. Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) is a national honor society which promotes excellence in the study of public administration and encourages public service. Students are inducted into PAA twice annually and must be invited to join.
In addition, the Department of Public Administration hosts a number of events throughout the year such as speakers series, networking events, webinars and social engagements for students, faculty and alumni throughout the year.
- ICMA Student Chapter – The Frank & Gloria Wolek Speaker Series
- Pi Alpha Alpha Fall Career & Networking Event
- Nova Nonprofit Network BLAST! Bringing Leaders and Students Together Event
- Pi Alpha Alpha Spring Colloquium
- Annual MPA Dinner
- Pi Alpha Alpha Induction
ICMA Student Chapter
Founded in 1914, International City/County Management Association (ICMA) is the premier local government leadership and management organization. Its mission is to create excellence in local governance by advocating and developing the professional management of local government worldwide. In addition to supporting its nearly 9,000 members, ICMA provides publications, data, information, technical assistance, and training and professional development to thousands of city, town, and county experts and other individuals throughout the world.
In addition to the benefits provided by ICMA, Villanova’s chapter will sponsor several events each academic year in order to promote the local government management profession and help students pursue a career in that field. Villanova undergraduate and graduate students interested in joining Villanova’s Unitas ICMA Student Chapter should contact Dr. Vaswati Chatterjee.
Pi Alpha Alpha
Pi Alpha Alpha (PAA) is a national honor society which promotes excellence in the study of public administration and encourages public service. The purpose of the Villanova University Chapter of Pi Alpha Alpha is to encourage and recognize outstanding scholarship and accomplishment in public affairs and administration, to promote the advancement of education and practice in the art and science of public affairs and administration, and to foster integrity, professionalism and creative performance in the conduct of governmental and related public service activities.
The chapter formally inducts and elects officers every Spring. They sponsor two events annually - a Fall Colloquium and a Spring Seminar.
Nova Nonprofit Network
Build Your Career as a Nonprofit Professional!
The Nova Nonprofit Network is designed to expand Villanova's system of professional and academic support for students interested in or already working in the nonprofit sector by bringing people together to share best practices to collectively respond to challenges and opportunities in our communities.
By joining the Nova Nonprofit Network, you will be able to:
ENGAGE with Your Peers
- Join one-on-one and group events to discuss trends and best practices with students, alumni and social impact leaders in various nonprofit fields.
- Participate in a mentoring program.
- Obtain special student rates to become a Pennsylvania Association of Nonprofit Organizations (PANO) member.
- Join quarterly small group discussions.
- Access professional development and career advancement resources by attending our annual BLAST event and meeting with program faculty and Villanova Career Center staff.
- Access resources on professional development and updates on current issues such as how COVID-19 and the national reckoning on systems of racial injustice impact the nonprofit sector.
- Schedule meetings with Career Center staff who serve as nonprofit industry advisors.
CREATE Your Vision
- Advance the common good through Villanova's Augustinian teaching and learning approach through your nonprofit curriculum.
- Map out your courses.
- Increase the impact of your nonprofit's mission by focusing on your strengths.
- Enhance your professional development with coursework that includes applied projects and consulting.
For more information about joining the Nova Nonprofit Network, please reach out to Dr. Lauren Miltenberger or Megan Zak.