CAREERS AND PUBLIC ADMINISTRATION ALUMNI
Why Study Public Administration?
Given the broad range of career options, public administration is an excellent field for students who are committed to serving the public good and becoming ethical, creative, inclusive and intelligent leaders in a number of industries. You can tailor the curriculum to match your career goals, and you will be joining a community of engaged students, faculty, staff and alumni who share your passion for public service.
Our Vibrant Alumni Network
Our MPA alumni are well prepared to respond to the increasing need for collaboration across the public, private and nonprofit sectors. Alumni have enjoyed successful careers in federal, state and local government, the nonprofit sector, as well as in the private sector. Our alumni continue to support our students by serving on our Advisory Board, participating in professional development efforts and informing our program of trends and opportunities in public service.
The MPA program has a strong internship program for students without prior management experience in the field. Previous placements have included townships and boroughs in the Greater Philadelphia region, the Pennsylvania Ballet, SAP, the City of Philadelphia Office of Homeless Services, Arts and Business Council of Greater Philadelphia and the American Cancer Society. Some courses in our program also provide opportunities for community partnerships. MPA students have worked in teams on projects for organizations such as:
- Office of Policy and Planning, Commonwealth of Pennsylvania - Policy advocacy proposals
- Congreso de Latinos Unidos – Community Research and Event Planning Project
- Eastern State Penitentiary – Marketing Plan, Membership Program
- Simon’s Fund – Advocacy and Fundraising Strategy
- National Constitution Center – The Constitution Happened Here Marketing Plan
- Global Philadelphia Association – Marketing and Communications Plan
- Salvation Army – Lobby Day Campaign in Harrisburg, Pa.
Resources and Opportunities
Keep up with everything Villanova MPA and the Department of Public Administration at the Leaders Lounge blog! See alumni stories, networking events, job postings and more!
MPA Completion Rates
The majority of our students are working professionals who attend classes part-time.
- 80 students initially enrolled in the 2016-2017 academic year.
- 59% of students who began their graduate studies during the 2016-2017 academic year completed the degree within two years.
- 95% of students who began their studies in 2016-2017 completed the degree within four years or are in the process of completing degree requirements.
Fifty nine students received their MPA degree in the 2020-2021 academic year. At six months after graduation:
- Six students were employed by the federal government.
- Four students were employed in state government.
- Ten students were employed in city, county or other local government in the U.S.
- Fifteen students were employed by a domestic nonprofit organization.
- Sixteen students were employed in the private sector.
- No students sought further education.
- One student was employed by the military.
- The status of three students is unknown.