MANAGEMENT INFORMATION SYSTEMS - MAJOR AND MINOR
Management Information Systems (MIS) blends business knowledge with the use of information technology to solve complex business challenges. The focus of MIS isn’t computer programming; instead, you will learn how to strategically apply technology to enhance the way people work and help companies innovate their products and services. From traders looking to capture market inefficiencies to marketers engaging with consumers to executives expanding businesses globally, technology impacts business in every way and with an MIS major, you will develop the skills to understand those business needs and create IT solutions that add value. With an MIS minor, you will gain insight on the ways IT systems are designed, developed and deployed.
The Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AIML) minor is a three-course minor program. It is open to all VSB students, with coursework that includes building prototype intelligent systems, natural language processing, expert systems, supervised and unsupervised learning, and robotics, among other areas that comprise the broad field of AI.
Artificial intelligence and machine learning have become increasingly important technologies across all business disciplines such as finance, banking, marketing, healthcare, accounting and real estate.
Earning MIS Major
You must complete the core curriculum and the business curriculum, along with two of the required MIS courses plus four MIS elective courses.
Earning MIS Minor
You must complete the core curriculum and business curriculum plus your major requirements, along with two of the required MIS courses (noted by *) and one MIS elective.
Note: Starting Class #2025, all VSB minors, including AIMLminor and MIS minor, require three unique courses to complete the minor requirements.
MIS 2020 - Prog for Adaptive Prob Solving
- Explores a problem solving methodology that employs programming. Emphasis upon identifying capabilities and limitations of the programming approach. Learn skills and techniques to define business problems, design solution processes, develop program specifications, code, debug, and document and defend solutions.
- VSB 2006 and VSB 2020 (concurrency) and (VSB 2009 (concurrency) or VSB 2010 or VSB 2030 (concurrency) and VSB 2040 (concurrency))
- Credit Hours:
- Last Offered:
- Fall 2021, Spring 2021, Fall 2020, Spring 2020
- CRSE Attributes:
- One MIS elective can also include MIS 2020, MIS 2030, or MIS 2040.
- In addition, CSC 1052 may fulfill the MIS 2020 requirement only if it is not fulfilling the core Arts and Sciences requirements - such as CSCNATSCI or CSCNATSOC.
- ACC 2340 - Accounting Information Systems may also fulfill an MIS major elective only if this course is not also fulfilling an ACC major requirement.
Earning AIML Minor
You must complete the core curriculum and business curriculum plus your major requirements, along with three required courses.
- CSC 1052 may fulfill the MIS 2020 requirement only if it is not fulfilling the core Arts and Sciences requirements—such as CSCNATSCI or CSCNATSOC.
- Only one course - MIS 2020 (or CSC 1052) - may double dip with another VSB program for Class #2022, # 2023, and #2024.
The Clay Center offers comprehensive information to help you know what is needed to pursue your degree at VSB.
AP and IB Credits for Class of 2025
AP and IB Credits for Class of 2024
AP and IB Credits for Class of 2023
AP and IB Credits for Class of 2022
Access the Syllabus Archive Database
VSB Undergraduate Handbook