Research is critical to the mission of Villanova University and essential for both the development of its faculty and the education and training of its students.
The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences fosters and environment that supports research, scholarly excellence and student-professor research partnerships, emphasizing the importance of the teacher-scholar model. The College supports faculty in securing external funding and offers several internal funding including Course Initiative Grants in Diversity or Sustainability, Faculty Research and Development Grants and Research Semester Awards.
CLAS has experienced a steady increase in external funding over the past decade, rising from just under $2M to just under $9M in FY21.
Our faculty earn funding from a variety of federal agencies, including:
- National Science Foundation, including NSF CAREER Grants
- National Air and Space Administration
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration
- National Institutes of Health
- National Archives
- National Endowment for the Humanities
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Awards have been received from private foundations including:
- John Templeton Foundation
- Camille and Henry Dreyfus Foundation
- Lilly Foundation
- Henry Luce Foundation
- Teagle Foundation
The Villanova Office of Corporate and Foundation Relations facilitates and orchestrates the creation and maintenance of strategic partnerships between Villanova University, corporations and private philanthropic organizations.
Office of Grant Development
Identifying and securing research funding is critically important for many of our faculty scholars. The Office of Grant Development offers assistance to faculty and staff in preparing and submitting grant proposals.
Identifying and securing research funding is critically important for our faculty scholars. The Office of Grant Development offers assistance to faculty and staff in preparing and submitting grant proposals.
The Office of Grant Development supports faculty throughout the grant submission process, including
- Identifying potential sources of funding (including federal, state, and other government agencies; private corporations and foundations; and private groups and individuals)
- Grant budget preparation
- Securing matching support for grants
- Collecting and preparing required supporting documents and documentation
- Proofreading and editing of proposals prior to submission