PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND INTERNSHIPS
The College’s Professional Development and Internships staff are here to help students explore, experience, and evolve as they think critically about potential careers and professional ambitions.
Throughout their journey in the College, students can take advantage of networking events with alumni, one-on-one mentoring relationships, experiential learning opportunities—including internships and immersion programs. A broad array of one-credit professional development courses enable students to identify strengths, explore possibilities, and develop the skills necessary to prepare them for a successful and meaningful career post-Villanova.
INTERNSHIPS AND EXPERIENTIAL LEARNING
The College’s robust internship program helps students identify, apply and succeed in professional internships which can also be used for academic credit.
OF STUDENTS SEEKING AN INTERNSHIP PARTICIPATED IN AT LEAST ONE
Our students land internships at organizations including:
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Nationalities Services Center
- The Philadelphia Justice Project for Women and Girls
- Penn Medicine
The Vatican Internship: Villanova University is the only institution of higher education in the world with an internship program in the Vatican. Learn about internship opportunities for Computing Sciences students and Communication students.
The Office of Education Abroad: Internships that are part of a study abroad experience are administered by the Office of Education Abroad.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT COURSES
OUS offers one-credit courses helping students with fundamentals like resume creation, networking, and preparing for an interview. Other courses provide important life skills and several explore opportunities in specific career sectors. Courses are taught by faculty and staff throughout the University and often feature guest alumni speakers.
Course topics include:
- The Legal Profession
- Professional Communication
- Networking for Career Success
- Creativity and Innovation
- Personal Finance
- Professional Skills & Strengths
- Introduction to Data Analysis
- Public Policy Paths
- Management Consulting
- The Professorial Life
- A Life Well Lived
- Adulting 101
- Preparing for Careers in Financial Services
- Understanding Financial Reports
- Preparing for Health Careers
- Charting Your Course in the Sciences
The BRIDGE Society in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences builds relationships between students and alumni—inspiring both student professional development and alumni engagement and providing a forum for students to gain the experiences necessary to forge their future careers.
- Provide liberal arts and sciences students opportunities to explore potential career paths and meet alumni and employers in their fields of interest.
- Host numerous mentoring and networking events throughout the academic year to help students learn about a wide variety of careers.
- Provide an opportunity for students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences to identify with the College, in addition to their major.
- Create opportunities for student leadership within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Handshake connects students to relevant internship and job opportunities based on their profile, interests and search activity. They can apply for positions, explore companies and sign up for career fairs and workshops, all in one place. All students have a Handshake account, which they must activate with their Villanova username and password.
The Nova Network is Villanova's social and professional networking platform. It offers the CLAS One-to-One Matched Mentoring Program, which is designed to connect Liberal Arts and Sciences undergraduates with dedicated alumni who want to guide, support and mentor students as they journey from college to career. Parents and students can join!