Making Villanova Home
Resource & Video Library
Scams and Fraud Awareness: It is critical for students relocating to the area to be aware of frauds and scams, especially as it relates to finding housing. Housing scams typically occur in online advertisements on sites such as craigslist.org. If the contact person requires that you send money for your room or apartment before you have visited the property, this could be a scam. Never send money or give our personal information or immigration details to anyone over the phone or online. If you must give money before arriving in the United States to hold the apartment, please take necessary precautions to ensure it is legitimate by checking the address on google maps and arrange a digital viewing via FaceTime, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.
Learn more about avoiding rental scams.
For International Students
The International House Philadelphia (IHP) is an organization in Philadelhpia that organizes regular events and outings for international students and scholars in the Philadelhpia area. IHP also produces this International Student & Scholar Guide, which covers important topics such as Housing, Money, Health, Shopping, Transport, and more!
- Taxes: International graduate students are required to pay taxes and file tax forms for any on-campus job, graduate assistantship, or any other type of funds received from the University (such as a hardship fund or other scholarship). You may qualify for an exemption from federal taxes (not state) if your home country has a tax treaty with the United States. Please visit the IRS website to view which countries have tax treaties with the United States.
- US Tax Filing Obligations for International Students: Watch Video
- Money and Banking for International Students
International graduate students are required to attend several orientation and onboarding sessions to help acclimate yourself to life in the United States and Villanova:
- The International Student and Scholars Office hosts a mandatory orientation session when you arrive on campus. The exact date and time of this program will be communicated to you directly by Hubert WhanTong.
- The Grad Center also hosts a virtual orientation for all incoming graduate and law students. This program will be on Thursday, August 17 at 6pm EST.
- The Grad Center hosts an all-day onboarding program for international graduate students. The date and time of the onboarding program for Fall 2023 is Friday, August 24 from 8am - 4pm.
Financial Wellness & Banking
Learn about funding opportunities for graduate students at Villanova (graduate assistantships, tuition scholarships, and graduate assistant hourly positions). These positions are not inclusive of funding opportunities housed within academic departments.