Are you looking to change the design of your existing course? Do you want to get ahead in planning your course for the fall semester? Are you looking to scaffold your assignments with deep, long-lasting student learning at the center?
Join Villanova colleagues in a virtual two-week Course Redesign Institute (CRI) with Dr. Phyllis Blumberg, educational consultant and author of Making Learning-Centered Teaching Work, (2019), and VITAL colleagues. We will facilitate an interactive, applied, hands-on institute that gets you started redesigning (or designing) your course. You will leave with a learning-centered course outline including goals, activities and assessments, a concrete process and materials to successfully complete your course development. VITAL colleagues will continue to support you.
Asynchronous, self-paced program with live sessions for collaboration, sharing of course revision, feedback, and peer review. Instructors will consult virtually with individual and/or teams of faculty. The institute is limited to 12 full-time faculty to support personalization and engagement.
The application process has been closed.
- Use backward course design principles to design course
- Articulate clear learning goals for the course
- Organize content to support learners' knowledge/experience levels
- Scaffold assignments for feedback and ongoing, deep learning
- Match assessments to course learning goals
- Plan learning activities that aid deep student learning and success and support an inclusive learning environment
- Participate in a collaborative, multi-disciplinary faculty community focused on reflection and constructive feedback
Professional Instructional Development Support:
Faculty will receive $600 stipend; I.e., $300 upon CRI completion, $300 upon final syllabus review. Also, faculty will have access to an electronic copy of Making Learning-Centered Teaching Work by Phyllis Blumberg and resources to successfully complete the redesign of their course.
To learn more about what faculty have developed and their experience, please click on Faculty Course Redesign Examples and Experiences.
List of CRI Faculty Alumni (PDF)