VITAL (Villanova Institute for Teaching and Learning) provides and coordinates resources for faculty members from all disciplines who are interested in helping their students become more effective learners.
- Consultations with individuals, departments or other groups interested in revising courses, reviewing curricula, exploring new teaching strategies, assessing students' learning, developing peer review processes, and related issues.
- Confidential classroom observations with constructive feedback.
- Instructional diagnosis of students' learning in individual courses.
- Workshops and informal discussion groups on issues such as balancing teaching and research, designing and implementing flipped approaches, considering students' learning styles, incorporating ePortfolios for reflection and documentation of students' learning, and teaching effectively with technology.
- Consultation for digital recording of a class session.
- Program for new Villanova faculty members.
- Faculty Sponsorship to Attend Annual Conference on Teaching Excellence at Temple University:
- Each year VITAL supports a team of up to eight faculty members across disciplines to attend this regional conference focused on learning-centered teaching. Sponsored faculty members are asked to share with the Villanova teaching community a conference take-away, i.e., demonstrate a teaching practice that supports student learning as part of a VITAL program. Faculty who were sponsored in the past two years are not eligible to apply.
- Link to list of past faculty participants
- Link to conference site
- Minigrants to support innovative teaching and learning.
- Teaching-Talk, email discussion list by and for Villanova faculty and staff to discuss all aspects of teaching, exchange tips, techniques, problems and solutions, share articles related to educational issues or call attention to local academic events. Link to join the discussion list.
- Faculty Online Café to exchange teaching experiences with Villanova faculty colleagues, keep your teaching fresh, collaborate on effective practices, generate new ideas for teaching face-to-face, blended, and online, discuss current topics, and learn about teaching-related events. To access the Faculty Café, go to elearning.villanova.edu, select the university seal to sign in, and click Faculty Online Café.
- Materials and Library related to teaching, learning, assessment, and professional academic development, books, journals, onlineTeaching Professor Newsletter, Essays on Teaching Excellence.