Students who plan to get a minor in statistics should declare their intention as early as possible by filing a Statistics Minor online application form (see below for link). Students may consult Dr. Yimin Zhang, Statistics Minor Coordinator, in SAC 325 (Phone:610-519-4704) at any time for information and advice. If all requirements for the minor are satisfied, then the certificate will be issued about two weeks after graduation. The minor will also appear on the student's transcript.
Requirements for the Statistics Minor
- The calculus sequence: MAT 1500, MAT 1505, MAT 2500
- Three required statistics courses: STAT 4310, STAT 4315, STAT 5700
- Two elective statistics courses: Choose from STAT 3000 or above. A list of STAT courses that can count as statistics electives will be available from Dr. Zhang prior to each semester's registration period.
Recently offered undergraduate electives include:
- STAT 4210 Bayesian Statistical Analysis
- STAT 4380 Data Science
- STAT 4416 Design of Experiments
- STAT 4450 Regression for Biostatistics
- STAT 4480 Data Mining
- MAT 4600 Deterministic Operations Research
- STAT 5705 Math Statistics II
- STAT 5910 Topics in Statistics
A student who is not a mathematics major may petition to have an upper division course from his/her major count as one of the two statistics electives. The course must have substantial statistical content and must not substantially overlap with any of the other courses that the student is counting towards the minor.
Examples of acceptable substitutions include:
- BIO 3105 Biostatistics & Exp Design
- ECO 3137 Intro to Econometrics
For those students who pursue both the mathematics minor and the statistics minor, exactly four courses (no more) may be counted towards both minors simultaneously: MAT 1500, MAT 1505, MAT 2500 and STAT 4310. No other courses count towards both. Thus, obtaining the statistics minor requires taking four additional courses beyond those required for the mathematics minor.
Mathematics Major earning a Statistics Minor
Mathematics majors may earn a minor in statistics. The four courses MAT 1500, MAT 1505, MAT 2500, and either STAT 4310 or STAT 5700 may count towards both the mathematics major and the statistics minor, but no other courses count towards both. Thus, earning a minor in statistics requires taking four additional courses beyond those required for the mathematics major.
Refer to the link below for the Statistics Minor online application form.
Online Application for an OUS CLAS Minor or Concentration.
(The OUS CLAS Minor or Concentration form is also accessible from MyNova -> "Application to Add or Remove a CLAS Minor or Concentration.")
Minimum GPA requirement: 2.0 for the eight statistics minor courses