Department of Mathematics & Statistics
SAC Room 305
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
The Statistics major has been approved by the University and will be available to students starting in Fall 2020.
Statistics Major Requirements
The following MAT and STAT courses are required of Statistics majors:
- MAT 1500 - Calculus I
- MAT 1505 - Calculus II
- MAT 2500 - Calculus III
- MAT 2705 - Diff Equation with Linear Alg or MAT 3100 - Applied Linear Algebra
- STAT 4310 - Statistical Methods
- STAT 4315 - Applied Statistical Models
- STAT 4380 - Data Science
- STAT 5700 - Mathematical Statistics I
- STAT 5705 - Mathematical Statistics II
- STAT 5905 - Seminar in Statistics
- Nine credits of approved statistics courses numbered 3000 or above. Certain approved courses from other departments such as CSC may also count.
The following non-MAT/STAT courses are also required:
- CSC 1051 - Algorithms and Data Structures
- Two natural science courses with a lab at the science-major level. A partial list of courses that qualify is given below.
- All core requirements for the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
- At least 122 credit hours total as required by the University.
Many different natural science courses are acceptable:
- PHY 2410 - University Phy: Mechanics and PHY 2411 - Lab: Mechanics
- PHY 2412 - Univ Physics: Elec & Mag and PHY 2413 - Lab: Elec & Mag
- PHY 1100 - General Physics I and PHY 1101 - General Physics I Lab
- PHY 1102 - General Physics II and PHY 1103 - General Physics II Lab
- Note: One cannot count both PHY 2410/2411 and PHY 1100/1101.
- BIO 2105 - General Biology I and BIO 2102 - General Biology I Lab
- BIO 2106 - General Biology II and BIO 2104 - General Biology II Lab
- CHM 1151 - General Chemistry I and CHM 1103 - General Chemistry I Lab
- CHM 1152 - General Chemistry II and CHM 1104 - General Chemistry II Lab
- AST 2121 - Solar System Astronomy and MSE 2150 - Planets Lab
- AST 2122 - Understanding Our Universe and MSE 2151 - Stars Lab