Students who plan to get a minor should declare their intention as a sophomore by filing a Math Minor Application with Dr. Paul Pasles, Mathematics Minor Coordinator, in SAC 324, 610.519.7345.
To receive a math minor certificate, the student must see Dr. Pasles in person prior to the course registration for his/her final semester. Students may consult Dr. Pasles at any time for information and advice. If all requirements are satisfied, the certificate will be issued about two weeks after graduation and it will also appear on the student's transcript.
Requirements for Mathematics Minor
- The analysis sequence:
- MAT 1500 - Calculus I
- MAT 1505 - Calculus II
- MAT 2500 - Calculus III
- Five elective courses: MAT 2600, MAT 2705, or MAT/STAT courses numbered 3000 or higher.
A student may petition to substitute no more than one of the five math minor electives with an upper division course in his/her own major. The proposed substitutions must contain substantial mathematical content and not overlap with any math minor elective courses.
Examples of acceptable substitutions are:
- BIO 3105 Biostatistics & Exp Design
- CEE 3705 Engineering Economics
- CHE 3131 Thermodynamics II
- CHM 3412 Physical Chemistry II
- CHM 3416 Physical Chem for Engineers
- CSC 4170 Theory of Computation
- ECO 3138 Game Theory
- FIN 2325 Introduction to Derivatives
- ME 3102 Dynamic Systems II
- MGT 3170 Data Mining
- PHY 4202 Mathematical Physics II
Refer to the links below for the Departmental and OUS Mathematics Minor forms. Please return both completed forms to the Department of Mathematics and Statistics in SAC 305
Departmental Math minor form revised 8-07-2020
OUS Minor Form