The Villanova Sustainability Leadership Council (VSLC) was established in 2018 as Villanova’s governing body for sustainability. They are responsible for input and decision making on various aspects of the Sustainability Plan. The VSCL is supported by five subcommittees, each led by a council member:
- Social Justice
- Student Life
- Academics & Research
- Health & Well-Being
Methodology Quick Facts
- A quantitative list of priorities was set based on the input of 250 Villanova stakeholders.
- The priorities were used as weights in a scoring system. These allow Villanova to understand its sustainability performance and track its progress.
- The scoring system allows Villanova to set informed long-term and short-term objectives and key results in line with a tried and tested organizational structure (from Measure What Matters).
- Projects are selected based on their ability to improve the score, meet key results, and align with the Strategic Plan.The plan priorities, key results, and projects will be updated periodically, allowing Villanova to reassess and remain flexible over the course of the decade.
- The full breadth of the SDG's and their interconnectedness are recognized in the plan.
Villanova University’s DiLoreto Initiative is in the process of developing a mobile app that tracks personal carbon emissions. This mobile app will be used in conjunction with workshops and an additional piece of software for enterprise use. Collectively, these three items come together to create a three-tier model that aims to help individuals, groups, and organizations work together to become more sustainable. The app specifically provides individuals a hands-on learning tool to better understand sustainability and how they can lower their climate impact. The app can be used in classrooms to set goals for semester-long class competitions for carbon reduction.