The Villanova Sustainability Leadership Council (VSLC) was established in 2018 as Villanova’s governing body for sustainability. It is responsible for input and decision making on various aspects of the Sustainability Plan. The VSLC is supported by five subcommittees, each led by one or more council member:
- Academics & Research
- Student Life
- Social Justice
- Health & Well-Being
Methodology Quick Facts
- A quantitative list of priorities was based on the input of 250 Villanova stakeholders.
- The priorities were used as weights in a scoring system that allows Villanova to understand its sustainability performance and track its progress.
- The scoring system also allows Villanova to set short- and long-term objectives and key results in line with a proven organizational structure (from Measure What Matters).
- Projects are selected based on their ability to improve the score, meet key results, and align with the Strategic Plan. The plan's priorities, key results and projects will be updated periodically based on reassessments.
- The plan recognizes the breadth and interconnectedness of the SDGs.
Villanova University’s DiLoreto Initiative has led to the development of Pathways by Ethos, a mobile app that allows users to track personal carbon emissions and lower their climate impact. This mobile app is being used by students, in workshops and classes, and as an additional piece of software for enterprise use. Through this three-tiered approach—individuals, small groups and the institution as a whole—Villanova is maximizing efforts to achieve an ethos of sustainable living on campus.