Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

What are Intramural Sports?

Intramural Sports are a level of competition offered by most colleges and universities.  It's where students, faculty, and staff can form teams in various sports and compete against one another internally.  Some intramural sports offer an opportunity to play other schools which is referred to as extramural sports.  Villanova University belongs to CITY 6 where they compete against other schools in Philadelphia.  VU also belongs to the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association (NIRSA) which organizes several extramural and intramural sport events.

Back to Top

What should I do if I am injured during an Intramural Sports game?

If you suffer and injury during an Intramural Sports competition, you should immediately notify the Intramural Sports Supervisor on duty. This student employee will provide you with appropriate care and activate Villanova Emergency Medical Services if necessary. If you suffer an injury during a Villanova Intramural Sports game and do not immediately report the injury but would like to afterwards, please contact the Coordinator of Aquatics & Intramurals if necessary. Any injury that occurs during an Intramural Sports compeitition is elegible to be covered by Villanova's secondary insurance policy.

Back to Top

What is an All Gender Intamurals Sports League?

Villanova Athletics values the identities and experiences of all members of its community. We are committed to expanding opportunities for all participants, and we affirm all genders in sports.

Back to Top

What sports are offered at Villanova?

Villanova University offers several team-sport seasons in the fall and spring semesters.  They also offer tournaments both in the fall and spring.  Please check our Fall Sports or Spring Sports to see what is currently offered.

Back to Top

How can I participate?

You can register as a Free Agent or a complete team.  Most seasons and tournaments offer three divisions: Men's, Women's and Coed.  One person can compete in both a single gender and coed division of the same sport, however, the Intramural Sports Department is not responsible for schedule conflicts.  Teams are formed in several ways: dorm floors, campus organizations, Greek organization, friends, etc.

Back to Top

How do I register a team?

To register a team, you can download a Team Roster form, or pick one up from the Intramural Office located in the Davis Center for Athletics and Fitness. Each participant must complete a Waiver before they are permitted to participate.  PLEASE note the dates that the entry forms are being collected.  Captains: Allow enough time for your teammates to return waivers to you.  A team MUST submit all team members' waivers and the forfeit fee upon registration.

Back to Top

What's the deal with the forfeit fee?

The forfeit fee ensures that your team will show up to all the assigned games.  The fees vary by sport/activity and are listed on the Fall Sports and Spring Sports pages next to each sport/activity.  If you attend the captain's meeting and all your games, then your fee will be refunded during a refunding period after the end of the season/tournament.  An e-mail will be sent to the captain if they are eligible for a refund regarding the dates and times he/she can pick it up.  If you know in advance that your team cannot field the minimum amount of participants then you can contact the Intramural Office about the cancellation by 5:00PM of the business day prior to the event, in order to save your forfeit fee.  If a team decides to forfeit the entire season or tournament, you will lose your fee regardless of notice given.

Back to Top

Can we add a player to our team?

Yes.  BUT all additions must be made before the captain's meeting. Each addition must fill out a waiver in order to participate/ be added to the roster. Waivers can be dropped off at the front desk on the 3rd floor of the Davis Center.

Back to Top

How can I protest my game?

If either team does not agree with a call, the captain, and only the captain (or acting captain if captain is not present) can approach the official(s) for an explanation.  A rule can be overturned after this time.  If this caucus takes up a generous amount of time, the game clock may be stopped for further discussion.  Protests of an entire contest based on rules or calls must be made before the teams leave the field of the contest.  The formal protest will be settled at that time by the supervisor on duty.  A team may protest illegal players at any time [e.g. players on more than one team in the same division (division meaning gender -- men's, women's, Open); players not on the official roster; etc.].  If you suspect a team of having illegal players you can e-mail us and we will investigate the matter; please do not abuse this procedure -- you must have a legitimate reason to believe a player to be 'illegal'.

Back to Top

Are there jobs available?

Of course.  Student employees are vital to the operations of the Intramural Sports Department.  Please check the employment page for any positions available, where you will have room for growth.

Back to Top

What is City 6?

Philadelphia City 6 was developed in 1986 as a way to encourage recreational sports and social interaction among the city universities.  City 6 is composed of Drexel University, LaSalle University, Saint Joseph ’s University, Temple University, University of Pennsylvania and Villanova University.  Today they offer championships in Flag Football, Volleyball, Basketball and Softball.  Visit the City 6 website for more information:

Back to Top

What is NIRSA?

NIRSA stands for the National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association. NIRSA is the leading resource for professional and student development, education, and research in collegiate recreational sports.  NIRSA includes nearly 4,000 highly trained professional, student and associate members throughout the United States, Canada and other countries. Serving an estimated 5.5 million students who regularly participate in campus recreational sports programs, NIRSA members are actively engaged in many areas of campus life: student leadership, development, and personnel management; wellness and fitness programs; intramural sports; sport clubs; recreation facility operations; outdoor recreation; informal recreation; and aquatic programs.

If you are interested in a career in Campus Recreation, it is highly recommended to get involved with NIRSA. Visit the NIRSA website for more information:

Back to Top

What if I get injured while participating?

If you are injured while participating in Intramural Sports, our staff is certified in First Aid and CPR in order to provide you with the care you need.  If you have any further questions regarding your injury or care, please contact the Director of Recreation.

Concussion Policy:  If you experience any signs or symptoms of a concussion, as a result of an injury sustained during intramural sport competition, you are not allowed to return to play until you are evaluated by a medical professional and are cleared to resume athletic participation.  Signs and Symptoms of a concussion include:Headache, Drowsiness, Irritability, Loss of Consciousness, Amnesia, Inability to Focus/Concentrate, Insomnia, Sensitivity to Light/Sound, Slowed Reaction Time, Balance Issues, Emotional Changes. 
Once a medical professional clears you to resume athletic participation, you must provide written clearance to the Director of Recreation.  Then you will be allowed to resume participation in intramural sports.

Back to Top

What if I require special accomodations for participation due to accessability or disability concerns?

The Intramural Department is willing to work to try to accomodate ALL students on campus to participate in our Intramural offerings. If you have questions about how you can potentially be accomodated, please reach out to the Intramural Coordinator - Michael Hay ( with as much notice as possible so that all potential considerations can be accounted for as we work towards your inclusion in our offerings. 

Back to Top

Field Locations

See the map below for a map of the field locations. Click the image for a larger view.

map image of field locations