COMBINED BS/MS IN BIOLOGY
The BS/MS Program in Biology provides exceptional students with the opportunity to complete both an undergraduate bachelor's and a graduate master's degree in approximately five years. The program is excellent preparation for any student interested in pursuing further graduate or professional work.
EXPLORE THE PROGRAM
To be admitted into the 5-year BS/MS program, you must meet the following requirements:
- AP Biology score of 4 or 5, or 8 hrs of college level general biology
- SAT I combined math and verbal score above 1400
- A strong letter of recommendation from a science teacher in high school, preferably one who taught AP Biology
- An interview with the Admissions Committee. The admissions committee is a three-member committee consisting of the Chair of Department of Biology, the Chair of the Biology Graduate Program, and Director of the BS/MS Program
- Students may enter the program before starting their second year as a a biology major, after completing biology courses at least through General Biology II.
Successful continuation in the program will require:
- A 3.0 cumulative average and science course average. Failure to maintain this average will result in a one semester probation period during which time the student must improve the GPA to a 3.0
- Strong letters of commendation from each of the faculty evaluators in whose labs the students rotated during the first two years in order to begin thesis research
- Successful completion of the written and oral thesis proposal typically by the end of the student's seventh semester