Criminal Background Check /Clearances Required Under Act 153 of 2014
Pennsylvania State Police Access to Criminal History (PATCH)
- Cost: Free
- Sent: Electronically or mailed if record indicated
- Timeframe: Immediate to 6 weeks depending on response
- A volunteer may only receive the PATCH background check/clearance free of charge once every 57 months and only upon online certification of volunteer (unpaid) status.
Pennsylvania Department of Human Services Child Abuse History Clearance
- Cost: Free
- Sent: Electronically and Mailed (if selected)
- Timeframe: Up to 14 days from receipt of application
- A volunteer may only receive the Child Abuse background check/clearance free of charge once every 57 months and only upon online certification of volunteer (unpaid) status.
- Cost: $23.25**
- Sent: Mailed
- Timeframe: 2-4 weeks
- If you have been a continuous resident of Pennsylvania for ten (10) years or more, you do not have to complete the FBI fingerprinting clearance, but instead can submit a signed affidavit affirming that you are not disqualified from service in the program or under Pennsylvania Law. Please note that off-site programs or activities involving minors may have additional requirements that must be met.
**A volunteer may obtain the FBI clearance at any IdentoGO site of their choosing and will be responsible for the costs associated with the clearance. Villanova University has established a process through its Department of Public Safety (an IdentoGO site since July 2018) wherein it will pre-pay for the clearance on behalf of the student volunteer. The instructions on how to obtain the FBI clearance through this process are below.