A student and his father set up a residence hall room.

Find helpful information on what to bring to campus, rental resources to make your room or apartment feel like home, end-of-year closing policies and procedures, and summer storage options. Already on campus and need assistance? Contact Residence Life or submit a maintenance request.



What to Bring/What Not to Bring into Residential Housing

Suggested Items to Bring for Living in a Residence Hall

  • Desk Lamp (Non-Halogen)
  • Floor Lamp (Non-Halogen)
  • Personal Toiletries
  • Shower Bucket/Shower Shoes
  • Computer
  • Desk/Stationery Supplies
  • Laundry Supplies
  • Hangers
  • Bed Linens and Pillow (All University mattresses are standard size and can accommodate either extra-long or standard size twin sheets. If you require an extra-long mattress, students may request an extra-long mattress when they complete the housing application.)
  • Towels / Washcloths
  • Cleaning Supplies
  • First Aid Supplies / Medications
  • Surge Protector
  • Heavy Duty Extension Cord
  • Coaxial Cable Cord
  • Wastebasket
  • Plastic Containers with Lids (for proper food storage)

The following items are not provided in apartment-style halls and must be provided by the residents:

Living Area

  • Lamps (desk and living room)
  • Television
  • Coaxial Cable Cord


  • Pots and pans
  • Dishes
  • Silverware
  • Glasses
  • Dish Towels
  • Toaster or Toaster Oven
  • Can Opener
  • Hot plate with enclosed heating coils (i.e., ceramic top) 
  • Dish Drain
  • Kitchen Trash Can
  • Food Staples (Condiments, Sugar, Salt and Pepper, Coffee and Tea, Spices)
  • Plastic Containers with Lids (for proper food storage) 


  • Pillow(s), Sheets, Blankets/Comforter or Bedspread
  • Closets (located in bedrooms) do not have doors. Students may wish to purchase a curtain and curtain rod for closet openings.
  • Shower curtains (Note: Showers in Farley, Gallen, Jackson, and St. Clare are not a standard size, the University will provide extra-long shower curtains for these showers. Residents of Klekotka, Moulden, Rudolph, and Welsh must supply their own standard-sized shower curtains.)
  • Towels and Washcloths
  • Bathroom Rugs/Bath Mat
  • Bathroom Trash Can

Please DO NOT Bring.....

  • Candles (decorative or functional, wick or no wick)
  • Toaster Ovens or Crock Pots (prohibited in traditional residence halls, permitted in apartments)
  • Hot Plates or Appliances with exposed heating elements
  • Space Heaters
  • Pets or animals of any kind
  • Halogen Lamps
  • Platform Beds or Lofts
  • Cinder Blocks or any other item designed to raise the height of your bed
  • Air Conditioning Units
  • Electric scooters, self-balancing one- or two-wheeled boards or motorized skateboards (electric mobility aids for those with impaired mobility and electric bicycles are permitted)
  • Wall Mounted Shelves or any other item that requires a permanent fixture to walls or furniture (including headboards of any kind, see note below).*

*A note about headboards:

One of the most significant contributors to mold growth is poor air circulation. Furniture, including headboards, that are placed in front of the HVAC vent or return can severely diminish the rate of circulation. The addition of a headboard further reduces airflow, especially if the bed is in front of the vent or return. A headboard with fabric provides a soft surface for potential mold growth and cannot be easily cleaned—this is especially a problem when the fabric is in the path of HVAC circulation.

Additionally, Villanova beds are not designed for user modifications, which may create additional hazards. An improperly secured headboard can create a potential fall hazard if the headboard fails when the student leans against it. More permanent mounting options will likely damage the bedframe and under University policy, modifications to University-owned property are not permitted.



Residential Housing Information

Every first-year resident will have an extra-long twin mattress which measures 36x80x7. Other residence halls have standard twin-size mattresses measuring 36x76x7. We are in the process of converting all beds on campus to extra-long twin mattresses by Fall 2026. Both standard size and extra-long twin sheets will fit the standard size mattress. All rooms and apartments in The Commons will have extra-long mattresses.

For students assigned to buildings where extra-long mattresses are not standard, Residence Life has a limited supply of extra-long mattresses and are available upon request and based on need. Requests should be limited to those over 6'2" in height. These mattresses require extra-long twin-sized sheets. Students can request an extra-long mattress by contacting the Office for Residence Life.

All students requests for an extra-long mattress will carry from year-to-year. There is no need to contact Residence Life after the request has been made.

Laundry facilities are located in all residence halls. Washers and dryers each cost $1.50 per load. Students use their Wildcard to pay for laundry - no need to bring quarters! VLaundry allows students to view the current status of every laundry facility on campus, reserve specific machines, and find out when the machines in your building will be available.

MicroFridge rentals are available this year directly from Campus Specialties, Inc. The MicroFridge multi-appliance provides students with a convenient way to prepare and store snacks in their rooms. The MicroFridge comes complete with a microwave, freezer, and refrigerator. Please note that only one MicroFridge or refrigerator/microwave is permitted per room.

Campus Specialties will set up the unit in student rooms and will pick it up at the end of the Spring Semester. If anything goes wrong with the unit, Campus Specialties will replace it. The MicroFridge is available for a yearly rental price of $199.99.

Add extra storage room without taking up valuable floor, wall, or closet space. Top Shelf Designs' (TSD) Dorm Buddy™ and Dorm Buddy Plus™ shelves fit securely atop your University-issued desk hutch, providing more storage space & surface area for all of your belongings. TSD's shelves are perfect for storing your textbooks, TVs, printers, desk lamps, makeup, hair tools, toiletries, décor and more. Our shelves were designed by Villanova students for college students to transform their cramped, messy dorms into spacious, organized areas ideal for studying and relaxing.

TSD's Dorm Buddy™ and Dorm Buddy Plus™ come pre-assembled and can be delivered to your residence hall room before you arrive on campus. Click here to shop and learn more about our journey as entrepreneurs and Villanova students.

Villanova provides free wireless Internet access throughout the campus. It is readily available in all academic and residence halls to all students, faculty, and staff.

Villanova's wireless network SSID is "VUMobile". To connect, simply click on VUMobile on your computer's list of available wireless networks and enter in your Villanova user name and password. This will work for any computer running Windows Vista or higher and Mac OS X 10.5 or higher.

Trouble connecting? Please email UNIT User Support or call the UNIT Help Desk at 610-519-7777.

Available in all Villanova residence halls, Xfinity TV is delivered via coaxial cable to each residence hall. Providing over 100 channels, students can watch this channel line-up by connecting their TV directly to the coaxial cable jack in their room. To learn more about the Xfinity Cable TV offering be sure to visit our site about Cable TV on campus.

What You Need to Connect

Students must provide their own coaxial cable cord; which can be obtained at any electronics store or online retailer.

Your TV must be able to accept a coax cable input and be equipped with a QAM digital tuner. Most major brand flat-screen TVs manufactured after 2006 come equipped with a QAM digital tuner. QAM is used to receive digital channels without the use of a cable box. If your TV isn't supported, you may choose to purchase a set-top QAM Tuner, replace your TV, or elect to exclusively use XFINITY On Campus.

What if I have trouble with my service?

If you have an issue with your cable TV or need assistance in tuning it, please email UNIT User Support or call the UNIT Help Desk at 610-519-7777.  

The University’s property insurance only covers property that is owned by the University. It does not cover damage to students' personal property. It is highly recommended that students insure their own personal property via their parent’s homeowners insurance or a renters/tenants insurance policy. It is important to confirm with your homeowner's insurance carrier that the student’s property (including computers and other electronics) will be fully covered for loss while housed outside of the family dwelling.

As stated in the Student Handbook and the housing contract, the University assumes no legal obligation to pay for loss of or damage to items of student’s personal property occurring on campus or in its buildings or storage areas.



Spring Closing Policies and Procedures

  • Students must vacate their residence hall 24 hours following their last final examination or by noon on Saturday, May 11. Please note: students participating in Commencement or approved for Extended Stay Housing are exempt from this requirement.
  • Resident assistants will hang express check-out forms near the entrances of each room/suite/apartment in the coming weeks. Please follow the instructions and sign the form once completed to depart campus. Residents do not need to make an appointment with their resident assistant or the Office for Residence Life to check out.
  • Residence Life staff members will complete room assessments once all residents of a room/suite/apartment have departed campus—students do not need to register or be present for end-of-year room assessments. Damage charges may be assessed for rooms that do not meet move-out standards.
  • Please take all personal belongings with you. Once you have departed campus, you will not be permitted back into your residence hall without approval from the Office for Residence Life. Any personal items left behind will be considered abandoned and become the property of the University.

Remove Decorations and Personal Items

  • All decorative items, including but not limited to corkboards, mirrors, shelving, posters, hooks, decals, stickers, etc. must be removed.
  • Decals, stickers, marks, tape, adhesive, nails, "Stick-Up" Air Fresheners, and lettering on ceilings, doors, furniture, walls and windows should be cleaned off and/or removed.


  • Do not attempt to repair and/or paint damaged walls in your room or apartment. Doing so usually results in additional repair costs to the University and student.


  • All University furnishings present in your room at the time of check-in must be in your room at departure. Replacement costs will be assessed for missing furniture.
  • Furnishings and other items that are the personal property of residents, such as couches, chairs, rugs, shelves, headboards, etc., must be removed from your room/suite/apartment prior to departure.
  • Dumpsters will be located near residence halls to assist with  disposal.
  • Do not un-bunk or re-bunk your beds. Professional movers will complete these tasks.

You will be assessed a labor charge for the removal of all personal items left in your room/suite/apartment.

Leave Your Room/Suite/Apartment Clean

  • Prior to departure, please remove all trash from your room/suite/apartment and sweep the floors.
  • Students who leave trash in their rooms/suite/apartment will be assessed a Custodial Service charge for trash removal.

Storage is not available on the University campus. Additionally, drop-off storage pods are not permitted on campus due to parking and space restrictions. Off-campus storage facilities are available in the local area.

Students may choose to contract directly with a company that provides residence hall pick-up in the spring, storage for the summer, and delivery to a new residence hall in the fall. Students will work directly with the chosen company and all questions or concerns should be directed to the company.

Because of University insurance requirements, the companies below are the only businesses permitted access to campus and University residence halls. The names are provided for your convenience at the request of the outside vendors. Please note that the University does not endorse any of the companies listed.

  • Students participating in Commencement or individuals unable to vacate their residence halls by Saturday, May 11, must register for Extended Stay Housing.
  • Students who have registered and been approved for Extended Stay Housing will be permitted to remain on campus until 6 p.m. on Friday, May 17.
  • Students registered for Summer Housing need to depart residence halls by Saturday, May 11, unless otherwise approved by Residence Life. Summer Housing residents will receive additional information at a later date.


If you've rented a MicroFridge for the year, Campus Specialties will pick up the unit at the end of the spring semester. Students do not need to move the MicroFridge from their room upon move-out.  

General Phone: (610) 519-4154

Housing Phone: (610) 519-4155

Fax: (610) 519-7303

Campus Resources
We want to provide the best experience possible for our students and community members. Below are helpful resources and tools to assist you during your time at Villanova.

Villanova University sign at an entrance to campus.

Dining Services

Parking & Transportation

Department of Public Safety

Parents and Families

International Student Services

Office of Disability Services

Selected Student Handbook Policies

The Student Handbook is the official student handbook for Villanova University. We hope it will be a ready reference for information important to you during your stay at the University.

Residence Life Policies