CRIME PREVENTION TIPS
GENERAL SAFETY TIPS ON CAMPUS
- If you see or hear something suspicious, call Public Safety at 610-519-4444 or call 911.
- Never leave your purse, wallet, book bag, laptop, cell phone or other property unattended in a public setting.
- When you leave your room or office, even for a moment, keep your doors and windows locked. Do not prop open doors or windows.
- Never leave a wallet or purse on top of your desk — take it with you or lock it in a drawer.
- Avoid taking wallets, money, and jewelry into athletic facilities and storing them in lockers.
- Mark your property; place marks inside your books.
- Never allow anyone you do not know to enter a locked building when you are entering or exiting.
- Be alert to potential danger. If it doesn’t look or feel right, trust your instinct and leave.
- Always lock your car and don’t leave objects plainly visible; secure them in the trunk whenever possible.
RESIDENCE HALL SAFETY
- Report suspicious persons to Public Safety at 610-519-4444 immediately.
- Be alert for persons “hanging around” on the floors or near the entrances of your residence hall or apartment building.
- Don't open your door to strangers.
- Never lend your room key to anyone or give out the combination of your room door lock.
- Never prop exterior doors.
- Lock your room each and every time you leave the room, no matter how briefly you plan on being gone.
Semester Break Safety Reminders
- Make sure door and window locks are functioning properly and report defects to your Resident Assistant/Apartment Assistant or Facilities Management immediately.
- Plan to take valuables home with you for safe keeping.
- Lock your windows and doors.
- Unplug and turn off appliances and lights.
- Don’t allow acquaintances to stay in your room or apartment while you are away.
- Do not share travel plans publicly.
Students living off-campus can ask local police for a “Vacation Home Watch” by contacting the Police Department where they live.
WALKING ON OR AROUND CAMPUS
- Avoid poorly lit streets, alleys and pathways.
- Always be aware of your surroundings, and don’t look at your phone while walking.
- If you see a person acting suspiciously, head for bright lights and people.
- Never jog alone; stick to a planned route and run with a friend.
- Convey confidence through body language - walk with your head up and be alert.
- If you need a ride, take the Wildcat Shuttle or a reputable ride share.
COMPUTER SECURITY AND ONLINE SAFETY
Tips and best practice information can be found on UNIT's Security Center page.
EMERGENCY CALL BOXES
Emergency Call Boxes are strategically placed throughout the campus in order to provide emergency assistance to the Villanova Community. They are located throughout the campus and parking lot areas.
Emergency Call Boxes are strictly for emergency use only. They are your direct link to Public Safety in the event of an emergency, such as reporting a suspicious person or circumstance, a medical emergency or an emergency escort.
For normal business inquiries, call (610) 519-5800.