COMMEND AN OFFICER
If you had a positive experience that you would like to share, please fill out this form. Your comments of exceptional service provide the individuals you acknowledge with a greater sense of community pride.
MAKE A COMPLAINT
Internal Complaint Investigation
Complaints may be submitted by:
- Filling out the Make a Complaint Form.
- E-mailing the Director of Public Safety at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Calling the Director of Public Safety at 610-519-6982.
- Calling the Public Safety Office at 610-519-5800 or visiting the Public Safety Office in person, and requesting to speak to a supervisor.
Complaints submitted to the Public Safety Department are investigated by trained investigators within the Department of Public Safety, with consultation with the Office of Human Resources when appropriate.
Process Public Safety follows for internal complaints:
- The Deputy Chief for Administration is responsible for administering the internal complaint review process; the investigation itself, however, may be conducted by the Deputy Chief for Administration, Deputy Chief for Operations, a Departmental investigator, or other departmental supervisor depending on the type and severity of the complaint. The Deputy Chief for Administration and an investigator have received specialized training in conducting internal affairs investigations. In appropriate cases, the Office of Human Resources may consult or assist in an investigation.
- The Deputy Chief for Administration is responsible for assigning complaints to subordinate personnel for investigation. For minor infractions, the Deputy Chief for Administration may ask that the Deputy Chief for Operations to assign a patrol supervisor to investigate the complaint. Minor infractions include issues such as rudeness or unprofessionalism.
- All complaints are investigated thoroughly. The investigator may ask the individual making the complaint to participate in an interview about the incident. The investigation will occur irrespective of whether the complaining party chooses to be interviewed.
- The Deputy Chief for Administration is responsible for monitoring the progress of investigation and reviewing investigative findings. The Deputy Chief is also responsible for rendering a decision regarding the outcome, subject to final review and approval by the Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police. The Deputy Chief for Administration may also recommend discipline in conjunction with presentation of the findings to the Director of Public Safety and Chief of Police.
- After final review and approval by the Director, all parties are notified in writing of the findings and outcome of the investigation. Complaints are typically resolved within 30 calendar days.
External Complaint Investigation
If you would prefer to make a complaint about the Public Safety Department that is investigated outside of the Department, you may:
- Contact the Human Resources Department at 610-519-7900.
- Submit a complaint through EthicsPoint, a third-party internet and telephone based reporting tool, which provides students, faculty, and staff with the option to report complaints in a confidential setting.
- Contact the Police Oversight Committee.