Who is a Mentor?
A Mentor is a Villanova alumnus currently working in a business role that wants to share their knowledge with students through mentorship. Our program welcomes all Villanova alumni who ideally have 3+ years of work experience in business.
How do I join the program?
What is the commitment level?
Mentees and Mentors are encouraged to talk on a monthly basis through the mentee’s graduation. However, the commitment level ranges based on the relationship of the pair. While some pairs prefer having monthly catch-ups/check-ins, other pairs speak as frequently as once a week. Communication is key to the success of a mentoring relationship. Ultimately, “what you put into the relationship is what you will get out.”
Tips for maintaining a great relationship:
- Find common ground (hobbies, interests, etc.) and build on those
- Be proactive, reach out to your mentee if you haven’t heard from them recently
- Use all forms of communication
- Meet face to face if possible, this is a great relationship-builder
- Before you close your monthly conversation, set an agenda for the next meeting based specifically on what the student is working on
- Help students understand the importance of preparation for career fairs, networking events and interviews.
- Recognize your mentee’s accomplishments!
Meet a Mentor:
Meet Aileen Grogan ’13 VSB!
“The VSB Mentor Program promotes personal and professional growth for mentees and mentors alike. By fostering a positive, candid and encouraging environment for students as they navigate the start of their careers, this program is an invaluable resource for VSB students.”
Meet Carl Schwind ’87 VSB!
“'Never underestimate the valuable and important difference you make in every life you touch for the impact you make today has a powerful rippling effect on every tomorrow.' - Leon Brown. When I was a student, the advice of a mentor shaped my entire career and life. I enjoy the opportunity to make that kind of difference for the students of today.”