Skip to main content

Incomplete or In-Progress Grades and Graduation

1. In the case where a student has an incomplete (N) or in progress (IP) grade for a course that is not required for degree completion in the graduation term the college who is conferring the degree must validate that the degree requirements are met without the completion of that course. Proof of completion of degree requirements should be sent to the Office of the Registrar. In addition to the completion of the courses required for graduation, the college must confirm that the student’s overall GPA is at minimum a 2.0 (3.0 for graduate programs) using the grade of “F” in the incomplete/in progress non-required course in the GPA calculation. This GPA must be confirmed because all courses count towards a student’s GPA which must be a minimum of 2.0 (3.0 for graduate programs) to graduate.  In addition, undergraduate students in the VSB, Engineering, Nursing and the Sciences must attain a 2.0 technical GPA in order to graduate.

2. In the case where a student completes requirements for one degree/major, but has incomplete or in progress grades in the graduation term that impact the completion of another major, minor, or concentration, that major, minor or concentration will be added to the degree record only when the work has been completed and the college notifies the Office of the Registrar that the new requirements have been met. If the requirements have been met by the diploma date (May 31, September 1, or December 31), the additional major/minor/concentration will be posted to the same graduation term record. If the course work is completed after the dates noted above, the additional major/minor/concentration will be added to the student’s record with a notation that those requirements were completed in the appropriate subsequent term.

3. The Office of the Registrar reserves the right to withhold the computation of graduation honors (summa cum laude, magna cum laude, cum laude) for any undergraduate student with incomplete or in progress grades- regardless of whether or not the course is needed for graduation- since the overall final GPA for all coursework is what determines honors designation. If the grade in the course affects honors, the Office of the Registrar may not post honors to the student record until the incomplete or in progress grade is converted to a final grade.  Since graduate students do not receive honors at graduation this policy is not applicable to them.

Office of the Provost

Tolentine Hall, Room 103
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
Phone: 610.519.4520
Fax: 610.519.6200

Meet Our Staff