For many years, the Career Center encouraged employers making employment offers to Villanova students to abide by certain dates for student responses. Over the past few years, we have observed significant changes in employer hiring patterns for externships, leadership programs, internships and post-graduate employment. The recruiting environment has become markedly different and we expect this environment to be sustained in the future. This is due in large part to three trends:
- The increased speed with which employers evaluate candidates and make offers
- A desire to offer opportunities to students earlier in their academic careers for externships, leadership programs and internships
- The overall shift toward more on-campus recruiting in the Fall semester
Few employers are willing to conform to specific deadline dates for student responses to employment offers because of the complexity of recruiting across multiple campuses. After many discussions with employers and other universities, we have learned that most employers are operating under a two- to four-week window for all employment offer responses, with the majority expecting two weeks’ response time.
Understanding this, the Center Career has established guidelines to provide both students and employers a fair, transparent and up-to-date framework for managing the offer phase of the recruitment process:
- Employment professionals will maintain equal employment opportunity (EEO) compliance and follow affirmative action principles in recruiting activities
- Exploding offers, those made with undue pressure and insufficient time to respond, are strictly prohibited. All bonuses or other incentives are to remain in full effect for the entire duration of the offer period
- The written offer should clearly state all appropriate terms and conditions, including but not limited to: position title/description, location, start date, end date (if applicable) and compensation (salary, bonuses, benefits, etc.)
- FULL-TIME, INTERNSHIP AND CoOp OFFERS: Employers should allow a minimum of three weeks from the date of the written offer, but preferably longer, for students to accept or decline
- EXCEPTION: Accelerated recruitment opportunities where offers are extended nearly one year prior to the position commencing: September 1 or three weeks (whichever later)
- Employers should be flexible in granting offer extensions on a case-by-case basis if the circumstances warrant it. The Career Center encourages students to negotiate for time when needed to support decision-making on employment offers while also staying within a reasonable timeframe to be sensitive to employer needs. The Career Center does not encourage students to wait to decide unless there is a specific reason for doing so.
We encourage students to make timely, informed decisions. If you need additional assistance in making this important decision please reach out to a career counselor or industry advisor as soon as possible. Set up an appointment in Handshake or call the Career Center at 610-519-4060 during business hours.