Sunny G. Hallowell, PhD, APRN, PPCNP-BC
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner
2021-23 Josiah Macy, Jr. Foundation Scholar
Villanova University M. Louise Fitzpatrick College of Nursing
800 Lancaster Avenue | Villanova, PA 19085
Contact Dr. Hallowell
Dr. Hallowell believes health care should be patient-centered, evidence-based, supported by policy and open to innovation. She brings to her research and teaching over 15 years of clinical experience in pediatrics and perinatal care, as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner, Pediatric and Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse (NICU) and Lactation Consultant. Her recent publications focus on the associations between the hospital workforce and the outcomes of infants from the NICU. She is passionate about Advance Practice Nursing leadership and was honored when selected to serve a two-year term as a national Jonas Health Policy Scholar with the American Academy of Nursing (’14) on the Expert Panel on Breastfeeding. She also recently completed her term as the President of the Pennsylvania Delaware Valley Chapter of the National Association of Pediatric Nurse Practitioners (’15). Her current research integrates her skills in health services research, health policy and innovation to measure patient-centered outcomes focused on bridging care from the hospital to home. Dr. Hallowell welcomes the opportunity to solve health care issues using an interdisciplinary team-based approach and invites students into a classroom environment that encourages critical thinking, creativity and active participation.
- PhD University of Pennsylvania
- Teaching certificate University of Pennsylvania
- MSN University of Pennsylvania
- BSN University of Toronto
- BSc University of Toronto
- Hallowell, S.G. (2021). An Exploratory Study of the Associations Between the Hospital Work Environment and Implementation of Baby-Friendly Hospital Policy. Journal of Perinatal Education. [Accepted for publication Spring 2022]
- Zou, P., Siu, A., Wang, X., Shao, J., Hallowell, S.G. and Yang, L. (2021). Influencing Factors of Depression among Adolescent Asians in North America: A Scoping Review. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 9(5):537.doi: 10.3390/healthcare9050537.
- Hallowell, S.G. Oerther, S., Rossiter, A.G., Dowling-Castronovo, A. and Montalvo, W. (2020). Innovation in Health Policy Education – Examples from Jonas Policy Scholars, Nursing Education Perspectives. 41(5):317-319. doi: 10.1097/01.NEP.0000000000000712.
- Cogan, R., Nickitas, D., Mazyck, D., Hallowell, S.G. (2019) School Nurses Share Their Voices, Trauma and Solutions by Sounding the Alarm on Gun Violence. Current Trauma Reports. [Published online 11.22.2019]. Open Access Link:
- Oerther, S., Hallowell, S.G., Rossiter, A., Gross, D. (2018). The American Academy of Nursing Jonas Policy Scholars Program: Mentoring Future Nurse Leaders to Advance Health Policy. Journal of Advanced Nursing. (Published online ahead of print 05.02.18)
- Darcy-Mahoney,A., Zauche,L.H., Hallowell, S.G. Weldone A., Stapel-Wax, J. (2017) Leveraging the Skills of Nurses and the Power of Language Nutrition to Ensure a Better Future for Children. Advances in Neonatal Care. 17(1): 45-52, DOI: 10.1097/ANC.0000000000000373
- Hatfield, L.A., Kutney-Lee, A., Hallowell, S.G., Del Guidice, M., Ellis, L.N, Verica, L, Aiken, L.H. (2016). Fostering Clinical Nurse Research in a Hospital Context. Journal of Nursing Research. 46(5): 245-9. doi: 10.1097/NNA.0000000000000338.
- Lake, E.T., Hallowell, S.G., Kutney-Lee, A., Hatfield, L.A., DelGuidice, M.,Boxer, B.A.,Ellis, L.N., Verica, L., Aiken, L.H. (2015). Higher Quality of Care and Patient Safety Associated with Better NICU Work Environments. Journal of Nursing Care Quality. 31 (1): 24-32 doi: 10.1097/NCQ.0000000000000146. (Epub. Ahead of print August 8, 2015)
- Froh, E.B., Hallowell, S.G., Spatz, D.L. (2015). The Use of Technologies to Support Human Milk & Breastfeeding. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. doi: 10.1016/j.pedn.2015.01.023. 30(3) 521-3.
- Hallowell, S.G. & Spatz, D. L. (2012). The Relationship Between Brain Development and Breastfeeding in the Late Preterm Infant. Journal of Pediatric Nursing. 27. 154-162. doi:10.1016-j.pedn.2010.12.018. Published online March 03, 2011.
- Zou, P., Sun, W., Hallowell, S.G., Luo, Y., Lee, C. Ge, L. (2019). Use of Guest Speakers in Nursing Education: A Review of Multi-disciplinary Literature. Advances in Medical Education and Practice (Published Online). 10 175–189
- Hallowell, S.G., Lake, E.T., Rogowski, J.A. (2017). How Nurse Work Environments Relate to the Presence of Parents in Neonatal Intensive Care. Advances in Neonatal Care. (Published online ahead of print 09.23.17) doi: 10.1097/ANC.0000000000000431
- Hallowell, S.G., Froh, E.B., Spatz, D.L. and the Expert Panel on Breastfeeding of the American Academy of Nursing (2016). Human Milk and Breastfeeding: An Intervention to Mitigate Toxic Stress, Nursing Outlook. (Jul 14. pii: S0029-6554(16)30125-7. doi: 10.1016/j.outlook.2016.07.007. [Epub ahead of print]
- Hallowell, S.G., Spatz, D.L., Hanlon, A.L., Rogowski, J.A., Kenny, M., Lake, E.T. (2015). Factors associated with infant feeding of human milk at discharge from neonatal intensive care: Cross-sectional analysis of survey and infant outcomes data. International Journal of Nursing Studies. (53) 190-203 doi: 10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2015.09.016 (Epub. Ahead of print October 9, 2015)
- Hallowell, S.G. & Medoff-Cooper, B. (2015). Strengthening the Israel’s Neonatal Intensive Care Nursing Workforce. Israel Journal of Health Policy Research. 4:24 doi:10.1186/s13584-015-0020-0 [Commentary; Epub. Ahead of print April 13, 2015]
- Hallowell, S.G., Spatz, D.L., Hanlon, A.L., Rogowski, J.A., Lake, E.T. (2014). Characteristics of the NICU Work Environment Associated with Breastfeeding Support. Advances in Neonatal Care. 14(4): 290-300. doi: 10.1097-ANC.0000000000000102. Published online July 31, 2014.
- Hallowell, S.G. & Altares-Sarik, D. (2014). Meeting the Needs of Today’s Children in Partnership with Nurses and Nurse Practitioners. Robert Wood Johnson Human Capital [blog]. http://www.rwjf.org/en/blogs/human-capital-blog/2014/10/meeting_the_needsof.html. Published online October, 2014.
- NUR 4114 Nursing and Health Policy
- NUR 4108 Nursing Care of Children and Adolescents
- NUR 4109 Practicum in Nursing Care of Children and Adolescents
- Graduate Level NUR 8663 Health Promotion of the Growing Child
- 2018 - "Virtual Reality Simulation for Teaching and Evaluation of Medication Safety Administration". Pennsylvania Higher Education Nursing Schools, Association ($2500). Sunny G. Hallowell (PI); Edward Kim (co-PI).
- 2016 - "Associations Between Implementation of Baby Friendly Hospital Policy and Nurse Practice Outcomes". Villanova University, College of Nursing($3000). Center for Nursing Research - Research Development Grant. Sunny G. Hallowell, PhD (PI); Andrea Crivelli-Kovach (co-PI).
- 2015 - "Fostering the Optimal Contribution of Nurses to Parental Engagement in Neonatal Intensive Care". Sigma Theta Tau International, Honor Society of Nursing. Small Grant Award. Sunny G. Hallowell, PhD (PI); Eileen Lake, PhD(Mentor).
- Nursing Workforce, Hospital Work Environments, Nurse Staffing, Education and Expertise
- Neonatal Intensive Care, Nurse and Infant Outcomes
- Breastfeeding Support and Human Milk Provision
- Quality of Care, Patient Safety, Hospital Discharge
- Hallowell,S.G. (2013). The Associations Between the Nurse Work Environment, Breastfeeding Support and Human Milk Provision in the NICU. University of Pennsylvania. Nursing, United States –Pennsylvania [Dissertation], ISBN 9781303145810
Area of Expertise:
- Nursing Workforce, Staffing and Work Environments
- Breastfeeding, Human Milk and Human Lactation
- Neonatal Intensive Care, Nursing, Pediatric and Perinatal Outcomes
- Innovation, Virtual Reality, Healthcare Simulation