Tolentine Hall, Room 103
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
A Message from the Provost - September 25, 2017
Dear Members of the Villanova Community,
In Father Peter’s State of the University Address, he enthusiastically shared that Villanova is about to embark on a new strategic planning process. I am honored and grateful that Father Peter has entrusted me with facilitating this process on behalf of the University.
Our current strategic plan, Igniting the Heart, Inspiring the Mind, Illuminating the Spirit, has guided Villanova to new levels of achievement and recognition since it was formulated in 2008. Our goal with the new strategic planning process is to build upon the strong foundation set forth in our current plan, and establish a new path to achieve Villanova’s ambitious goals over the next five to 10 years. The planning process will have three phases:
- Assess Villanova's strengths and opportunities, and draft a set of aspirations and goals.
- Develop and prioritize aspirations and goals, and start generating ideas for initiatives.
- Create a detailed plan for accomplishing aspirations and goals via those initiatives.
We have again partnered with McKinsey, a global consulting firm with extensive experience working with higher education institutions around the world to realize their full potential. McKinsey will assist us in this process, but the plan itself as well as the ideas and opportunities therein will be based on the ideas generated though our entire community. Thus, your input, ideas and feedback are essential to the success of our plan. There are three ways for members of our community to participate and share their thoughts:
- Strategic Plan Website: The strategic plan page on the Office of the President site will be a hub for information and communication related to the strategic planning process. It will also contain a "Share Your Input" form, where community members can digitally submit their ideas and comments at any time throughout the planning process. Responses are anonymous and confidential—no personally-identifiable information will be recorded so please do not hesitate to freely share your thoughts and opinions.
- Surveys: You will be able to share your thoughts via the Community Climate survey, which you will receive this fall. We will also engage with our alumni and parent communities through surveys to solicit their thoughts and opinions about Villanova from their perspectives.
- Strategy Sessions: Students, faculty and staff will be invited to participate in multiple strategy sessions to provide input for strategy development. These sessions are designed around interactive small group discussions, enabling participants to share their ideas and feedback on strategic questions and opportunities for the University.
The first set of Strategy Sessions will take place on the following dates in the Villanova Room of the Connelly Center:
- Faculty: Tuesday, October 3 from 10 a.m. to Noon
- Staff: Tuesday, October 3 from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.
- Students: Wednesday, October 4 from 10 a.m. to Noon
Additional Strategy Sessions will be held throughout the planning process. These dates and times will be shared on the strategic planning website and included in Campus Currents and the Wildcat Newswire. I will also send an email to each constituent group notifying them of upcoming sessions. It is imperative that we have strong representation and participation from across our University. Hearing and considering a diverse set of ideas, experiences and perspectives through this process will be key to its success.
This is an exciting time for our University community! I very much look forward to working with all of you to continue to move Villanova forward, while maintaining the values and history that has made this institution such a special place.
Patrick G. Maggitti, PhD