Villanova on Set
Villanova on Set is a weeklong immersive experience during spring break designed to expose Villanova students to the various facets of the Hollywood television and film industry. Throughout the week, students meet and learn from professionals, including numerous Villanova alumni, with a variety of skills and backgrounds who collaborate together to create art and content viewed and recognized around the world.
Students prepare extensively for each visit by researching the people and organizations involved, prepping fellow cohort members and introducing the organization to the full group. Throughout the week, a counselor from Villanova’s Career Center coaches students on how to present themselves and maximize their contacts for career or internship opportunities.
Members of the Villanova on Set cohort gain an understanding of the culture and geography of Los Angeles, the creative and production processes, the importance of networking, the essentials of business and media management, and develop strong relationships with VIllanova alumni contacts working in the industry.
Villanova on Set is led by Hezekiah L. Lewis III MFA, assistant professor and award-winning writer, producer and director.
Events will vary to include site visits, networking with Villanovans and presentations from individuals in the entertainment industry. Potential site visits include NBC Universal, Disney, Warner Brothers and Jimmy Kimmel Live. Potential social programs include tourist stops and sightseeing in and around Los Angeles.
The resume is the first thing an employer uses to evaluate you, so it's essential to ensure it effectively summarizes your skills, knowledge and experiences, such as participation in immersion programs such as Villanova on Set.
Utilizing our Resume Guide with an example specific to your career and professional development goals can begin the process toward creating a flawless and thought-out tool for your post-graduate search.
- When do I apply? Applications typically open the semester before the trip. This application opens in the fall semester.
- How can I find out about application deadlines and costs? These vary each year, so visit this site during the application season for the most up-to-date information.
- Is this a competitive program? Yes, many students apply for this immersion trip, so take your time with the application and be thoughtful and creative in your video.
- Where do I get help with funding? You can apply for funding for this program within your application. For other professional development experiences such as conferences, underpaid/unpaid internships and study abroad, refer to our Student Experiences Funding webpage.
- How can I prepare for this program? Attend the information sessions, which will be posted on Handshake, visit the Career Center along with the professional development offices in your school to build your resume, LinkedIn and elevator pitches.
- What should I wear? We encourage students to wear business casual clothing. If you need some options, make an appointment at the Wildcat Wardrobe.
- What are the lodging accommodations?
Students who participate in Villanova immersion programs stay in a hotel on location and share rooms with each other. Rooms are assigned to students and follow university housing policies and guidance. However, it is central to our mission to make sure we are as inclusive as possible to all members of the Villanova community. If you need a hotel accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out to discuss your needs and potential possibilities.
- What can I gain from attending this program? Students in the past learned about various roles within the entertainment industry, created relationships with their cohort and connected with alumni that sometimes lead to internship and job opportunities.
- When does this trip take place? Spring break.