Villanova at the Agency
Villanova at the Agency is a four-day-long immersion program that takes place at the end of May in New York City, the heart of the public relations and advertising industry.
A competitively-selected cohort of students will meet with Villanova alumni who are leaders in their organizations—from global, full-service firms, to boutique agencies to communication teams of major organizations.
Through on-site visits and intimate conversations, students will learn first-hand about current industry trends and how to build a successful career in public relations and advertising. They will also develop a strong, professional network among Villanova’s highly-placed alumni and friends.
Villanova at the Agency is led by Bill Cowen, EdD, associate professor, award-winning public relations professional and director of the public relations and advertising specialization within Villanova’s Department of Communication.
Events will vary to include meetings with Villanova alumni and friends who are leaders in their organizations—from global, full-service firms, to boutique agencies to communication teams of major organizations. Site visits will provide intimate conversations about current industry trends, how to build a successful career and developing a wide, professional network with Villanova’s alumni and friends. The program will culminate with an alumni reception consisting of Villanovans who work in the industry. This reception will include a keynote speaker who will cover a broad industry-topic and will allow for traditional networking that will further strengthen the power of the Nova Network.
The resume is the first thing an employer uses to evaluate you, so it's essential to ensure it effectively summarizes your skills, knowledge and experiences, such as participation in immersion programs such as Villanova at the Agency.
Utilizing our Resume Guide with an example specific to your career and professional development goals can begin the process toward creating a flawless and thought-out tool for your post-graduate search.
- How can I find out about application deadlines and costs? These vary each year, so visit this site during the application season for the most up-to-date information.
- Is this a competitive program? Yes, many students apply for this immersion trip, so take your time with the application and be thoughtful in your video.
- Where do I get help with funding? You can apply for funding for this program within your application. For other professional development experiences such as conferences, underpaid/unpaid internships and study abroad, refer to our Student Experiences Funding webpage.
- How can I prepare for this program? Attend the information sessions, which will be posted on Handshake, visit the Career Center along with the professional development offices in your school to build your resume, LinkedIn and elevator pitches.
- What should I wear? We encourage students to wear business professional clothing. If you need some options, make an appointment at the Wildcat Wardrobe.
- What are the lodging accommodations?
Students who participate in Villanova immersion programs stay in a hotel on location and share rooms with each other. Rooms are assigned to students and follow university housing policies and guidance. However, it is central to our mission to make sure we are as inclusive as possible to all members of the Villanova community. If you need a hotel accommodation, please do not hesitate to reach out to discuss your needs and potential possibilities.
- What can I gain from attending this program? Students can expect to learn about various roles within the public relations industry, created relationships with their cohort and connected with alumni that sometimes lead to internship and job opportunities.
- When does this trip take place? End of May.
- When do I apply? Applications typically open early in the spring semester prior to the trip (in late January/early February).
"Villanova at the Agency was a transformative experience that allowed me to immerse myself in the public relations, advertising, and media industry in New York. Through on-site visits to some of the most prominent agencies and companies within the space, we had the opportunity to meet company recruiters and dozens of established Villanova Alumni within the industry who offered invaluable insights into how to build a successful career in communication. My experience as a member of Villanova at the Agency offered me a foot in the door and access to unparalleled connections which were pivotal in helping me to land my dream job as a Page for NBCUniversal."