College in the Community
Our philosophy of service in action
The M. Louise Fitzpatrick College of Nursing is committed to offering educational programs that best serve the needs of its students and the health care community. The College — through its dedicated and talented faculty, students and alumni — also serves the larger community of Villanova University and its surrounding area, Philadelphia, the region, nation and the world.
The College's impact on society transpires with events and efforts local and global, each emblematic of what Villanova Nursing means and reflective of the College's mission, goals and philosophy. Among them are:
- Individual faculty practice that includes care for both mainstream and disenfranchised populations, as well as the mentoring of advanced practice nursing and medical students
- Faculty members' service as members of boards of local, regional and national community groups and organizations (e.g. Archdiocese of Philadelphia, National MS Society, American Nurses Credentialing Center, National Board for Certification of Hospice and Palliative Care Nurses, American Cancer Society, Sigma Theta Tau International, Philadelphia Corporation for the Aging and Province of St. Thomas of Villanova Health Care Advisory Committee). Through their scholarship, leadership and service, faculty make substantial contributions to the profession and society at large.
Innovations Benefitting Society
- The Gerontology Interest Group ("the GiG") is a campus-wide collaboration of students, faculty, and staff who engage in research, advocacy and workforce development to support the needs of the aging population
- Villanova ReachOut activates the Villanova University campus community to engage older adults through technology and make a positive difference in their mental and physical wellness.
- By developing health fairs, teaching classes and assessing the needs of varied populations, students raise awareness of health issues and concerns. Learn more.
- Student activities through nursing and other organizations that provide leadership and health promotion.
Health Promotion for Women with Disabilities
- Faculty and College support of the Health Promotion for Women with Disabilities Project.