The Center for Faith and Learning provides opportunities for students and faculty to explore the vocation of the mind and the depths of the Spirit in the way of Augustine, who searched for knowledge in the context of community. The Center promotes critical inquiry among friends who enter into dialogue dedicated to the integration of faith and learning, the hallmark of Augustinian pedagogy.
The Center for Faith and Learning is rooted in the Catholic/Christian intellectual tradition and is a place where transformative, intellectual life is in dialogue with all faith traditions.
All Faculty Meet and Greet reception:
Thursday 8/25 from 4:00 till 5:30 p.m., Corr Hall Lounge
Gather with faculty from all colleges of the University to say hello, enjoy the wine and cheese reception and hear a PowerPoint presentation on the offerings for this year of the Center for Faith and Learning given by Director Beth Hassel, PBVM, DMin! An invitation card will be mailed to all Faculty in early August, followed by an email invitation. We look forward to seeing you!
16-17 Faculty Dialogue Luncheons
Exploring Teaching as Vocation
October 4, 2016, from 12:00 till 1:15 p.m.
- David Fiorenza, MBA, Economics
- Kate Meloney, MSS, MLSP, Sociology-CRM
- Helena Tomko, DPhil (Oxon), Humanities
November 16, 2016, from 11:30 till 12:45 p.m.
- Albert Shin, PhD, Ethics
- Deborah Tyksinski, PhD, Dean, College of Professional Studies
- Beth Vallen, PhD, Marketing & Business Law
February 15, 2017, from 11:30 till 12:45 p.m.
- Vikram K. Iyengar, PhD, Biology
- Mary T. Kelly, PhD, Economics
- Klaus E. Volpert, PhD, Mathematics and Statistics
April 20, 2017, from 12:00 till 1:15 p.m.
- Rev. David Cregan, OSA, PhD, Theatre
- Bruce Pollack-Johnson, PhD, Mathematics and Statistics
- Virginia Smith, PhD, Civil and Environmental Engineering
Witnessing to Our Faith Traditions
September 7, 2016, from 11:30 till 12:45 p.m.
- Marta Guron, PhD, Chemistry
- James O’Brien, MA, ME, Mechanical Engineering
- Alain Phares, PhD, Physics
November 3, 2016, from 12:00 till 1:15 p.m.
- Michael J. Campbell, JD, Law
- Jordan Ermilio; P.E., MSWRE, RPCV, Mechanical Engineering
- Sunny G. Hallowell, PhD, PPCNP-BC, IBCLC, Nursing
January 26, 2017, from 12:00 till 1:15 p.m.
- Eduard Casillas, PhD, Chemistry
- Bing-Bing Qi, PhD, RN, Nursing
- John-Paul Spiro, MA, Augustine and Culture Seminar Program
March 22, 2017, from 11:30 till 12:45 p.m.
- Elizabeth-Jane McGuire, PhD, Augustine and Culture Seminar
- Helene Moriarty, PhD, RN, PMHCNS-BC, FAAN, Nursing
- Chris Schmidt, Ph.D., LPC, LMFT, Education and Counseling
All events are held in Corr Hall Lounge.
We look forward to seeing you!
Faith & Learning Scholars Program
The formation process for the '16-'19 community of faculty Mentors and student Scholars (current freshmen who will be sophomores in Fall 2016) is now complete.
Mentor and Scholar applications are posted as samples. Formation process for the '17-'20 community will begin in January 2017.
Please let us know any questions you may have.
Please see the Faculty Mentors and Student Scholars pages for more information on each too.
Scholars Honored at Final Dinner-Dialogue
Graduating seniors of the “Faith and Learning Scholars” program were recognized at the April 7, 2016 Dinner-Dialogue, receiving certificates and Honor Cords representing faith and wisdom. Pictured together with Dr. Beth Hassel, PBVM, DMin, the program’s Director (center) are:
Back row from left to right: Eric Ragone, Colleen Topper, Mary Frances Roth, Patrick Connolly, Robert Kluge, Elke Nordeen, Marie-Elena Cronin, Adam Vincent, Brian Engelhart, Jordan Piper, Krystian Seebert, Alexa Serrano, Christina Dziedzic, Bailey Morley, Brendan Delaney, and Bridget Sweet.
Front row from left to right: Sarah Stankiewicz, Margaret Lamb, Bernard Jacobson, Yun-Hwa Jang, Dr. Hassel, Jane Van de Weghe, Alissa Welker, Alyssa Sbarra, Christine Fossaceca, and Rodrigo Rivera.
Not pictured: Tiffany Holohan, Cynthia Horvilleur, Suzanne Krepelka, Vallena Lipske and Sarah McMahon.