VILLANOVA UNIVERSITY'S STRATEGIC PLAN: 2020-2030
Villanova University’s Strategic Plan is an ambitious 10-year effort with a significant focus on diversity, equity and inclusion. Strategic Plan initiatives include:
- Promoting institutional diversity, equity and inclusion efforts
Community is at the core of who we are—and we must work proactively to expand our welcome to all, embracing diversity in its multitude of forms, including race, gender, ability, ideology, orientation and socioeconomic status. It is through such a diverse community of scholars and students—representing various viewpoints and experiences—that the Catholic intellectual tradition is best accomplished.
- Enhancing dialogue across varied groups and perspectives
As Villanova continues its efforts to enhance representation among its students, faculty and staff, the University must actively foster an environment in which different perspectives are respected, and all voices are valued.
- Meeting 100% of demonstrated financial need
Villanova meets less than 100% of undergraduate financial need. Because the University is not able to meet full demonstrated need, a Villanova education is out of reach for many deserving students who want to call our community their collegiate home.
STRATEGIC PLAN IN ACTION
AEQUITAS: PRESIDENTIAL TASK FORCE ON RACE
Aequitas is a task force started by University President the Rev. Peter M. Donohue, O.S.A., and led by Dr. Terry Nance, Vice President of the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion. It is comprised of a cross section of Villanova students, faculty, staff and alumni, and has been charged with assessing the racial climate on campus, identifying areas for improvement, and creating a plan for developing the cultural competence for all students, staff and faculty who are members of the Villanova community. Learn more about Aequitas: Presidential Task Force on Race.
THE LIVING RACE—TRANSFORMING COMMUNITY CAMPAIGN
Villanova has launched a campaign called The Living Race—Transforming Community. Led by the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (ODEI), the campaign is an organized and sustained effort to engage the Villanova community in facilitating opportunities for Black and minoritized students, staff and faculty to succeed and thrive within the University. This collaboration between offices, student groups and individuals will focus on creating a just and equitable community. The goal of our campaign rests on two pillars: organizational systemic change and continuing high-impact community engagement.
- Organizational Systemic Change: Organizational systemic change means working with individual offices to examine internal policies and procedures that adversely affect the lives of Black and minoritized people within the Villanova community and impact negatively on their opportunity for success.
- High-impact community engagement: ODEI will organize activities focused on high-impact community engagement, which occurs where there is deep learning, interaction among the participants and frequent feedback. Each activity planned by ODEI will feature meaningful audience engagement and a connection to past or future events.
Employee Resource Groups (ERG), sometimes referred to as affinity groups, are used to provide support and engagement to University employees. These groups may focus on specific interests or identities and offer a variety of experiences, but they are not closed groups, they are welcome to supporters and allies. ERGs function as a structure within ODEI and work in coordination with Human Resources.