Villanova University Black Alumni
Villanova University Black Alumni (“VUBA”) is an affinity network that will cultivate and encourage the coming together of alumni to enhance the experiences and value of attending Villanova University for Black students and Black alumni.
Our vision is of a united and empowered Black Villanova alumni community that controls the means, and has the will, to uplift our fellow Black Villanovans for the betterment of our students, alumni and the University at large.
- Villanova University Black Alumni (VUBA) was founded in 2015 by DeVon Jackson '00 '03
- 22% of the Black alumni population is engaged with VUBA
- 18 people participate on the leadership advisory team
Supporting Black Villanova Students
Black students at Villanova have stated in no uncertain terms that they want, need and benefit from the presence and support of Black alumni. To students, VUBA represents the kind of community, allyship, partnership and leadership that can enhance their experiences at Villanova.
Chair: Louis Mannon '97
Co-Chair/Founder: DeVon Jackson '00, '03
Communications Director: Danielle Dutton '01, '14
Managing Director: Natasha Pollard '93
Email the Leadership Board
Fundraising Committee: Maxine Baker- Jackson '00, '05 and John Borden '07
Culture, Advocacy and Empowerment: Calista Smith '99
Events Committee: Julie Jackson '03 and Shavon Harris '01
Student-Athlete Engagement: John Celestand '99
VUBA Ambassadors: Danielle Gadson '07
- VUBA raised $20,000 over the last three years. These funds went to support student activities such as:
- Nine student book scholarships
- Riptide Productions
- Caged Bird Productions
- Gospel Ensemble
- Black Student Union reading day
- Honorariums for professional alumni speakers
- Community-building Homecoming gatherings
- Student/Alumni professional networking
- Virtual Speaker Series:
- Creating Space in Foreign Territories: Jennifer Gilliam Jenkins '97
- Building Your Own Startup: Cassia Trusty '20 and Taylor Washington '20
- Professional Development with Rev. Michael Robinson
- Nova Network training
- Sweet Sixteen Halftime Hangout
- Looking Back, Moving Forward panel by CASA’s Courageous Voices Series: Elliot Williams '16, DeVon Jackson '00 '03, Corie Alicia '96, Isaiah Alicia '19 '20 and Clif Porter '19
- Virtual Professional Networking and VUBA update
- CASA Celebration of Student Voices and Achievements
- Justice for Black Lives: A Vigil
Affinity networks connect Villanovans who share common industries, interests, identities and experiences with one another and today's students for continued personal and professional growth.
Join the Nova Network, Villanova's official professional network, to find Villanovans in your industry and local area, discuss career-related topics and access resources for your professional development. Watch this three-minute video on how to leverage the platform.