Proper addressing is critical to effectively process, deliver, and send mail and packages. Assurance of the proper address format is the responsibility of the addressee and is a requirement of packages sent to campus. Mail Services cannot be responsible for lost or misdelivered packages that are not properly addressed. Detailed USPS addressing guidelines can be found here
The correct address format all faculty and staff should be using for inbound mail and packages is:
First and Last Name
Dept, Building, Room #
800 E. Lancaster Ave
Villanova, PA 19085
This information should be kept current with online and external vendors that send you mail and packages.
The following is recommended in the sequence and position indicated for addressing to insure efficient handling and delivery by the US Postal Service:
· Type or machine-print all address information.
· Make sure print is clear and sharp.
· Ensure address characters don't touch or overlap.
· Black ink on a white background is best.
· Maintain a uniform left margin.
· Use upper-case letters - capitalize everything in the address.
· Omit all punctuation.
· Include floor, suite and apartment numbers whenever possible.
· Put the city, state and ZIP Code or ZIP + 4 code in that order on the last line. If there's not enough room, you can put the ZIP Code or ZIP + 4 code alone on the bottom line.
· Use standard two-letter state abbreviations.
· When using window envelopes, make sure the complete address is always visible, even when the insert moves.
· Leave one or two spaces between words and between the state abbreviation and ZIP Code or ZIP + 4 code.
Domestic Address Format:
International Address Format: