Facultas Award Call for Nominations
Call For Nominations
- To acknowledge and honor the contributions of staff members of the Villanova community, who work
at the university level, as opposed to department, program, or college level.
- To focus attention on the vital, yet often unnoticed, services essential to the smooth and efficient
functioning of the Villanova community, especially the academic faculty.
- To recognize persons who would not otherwise be recognized by other University mechanisms.
- To reinforce among our fellow faculty the importance and diversity of staff support work in all areas
of the University.
Informal Standards and Guidelines:
- The Facultas Award is presented once each year (in December) by the Faculty Congress, on behalf
of the faculty as a whole. Prior to 2015-2016, this award was presented twice per year (one award in
the Fall and one award in the Spring)
- The award should go to staff from a variety of areas to recognize their diverse contributions to the
- We will try to choose staff members who are not “high profile”; that is, generally lower in the
- We avoid nominating staff members who have taught as long-term adjunct faculty members.
- Beginning with Fall 2003, the award consists of a plaque plus a Wildcard gift certificate.
- Each semester, the Faculty Congress will solicit nominations from the faculty as a
whole. Nominations require only a brief statement from a faculty member describing the service for
which the nominee deserves the award. Based on these statements, the Congress Awards Committee will
review and rank the nominees and recommend one to receive that year's award.
- We have traditionally kept the nomination secret from the recipient and then presented the award at
some suitable occasion to be arranged in cooperation with their supervisor, the Faculty Congress
chairperson, and a photographer from Media Relations.
- The presentation script for this award is mostly based on quotes that we solicit from the nominee's immediate supervisor, and from faculty and selected staff.
|Fall 2020||Imelda Montemayor, Facilities Management|
|Fall 2019||Kevin Bowie, Facilities Management|
|Spring 2019||Bev Irwin, Custodial Services|
|Fall 2017||Barbara Romano, Honors Program|
|Spring 2017||Beth Hassel, Center for Faith and Learning|
|Spring 2015||Cathy Matkowski, OUS|
|Fall 2014||Ankit Desai, UNIT|
|Spring 2014||David Upsal, Falvey Library|
|Fall 2013||Hubert Whan Tong, Office for International Students|
|Spring 2013||Jean Monroe, UNIT|
|Fall 2012||Carolyn Bruce, Office of the Registrar|
|Spring 2012||Susan Ottignon, Falvey Library|
|Fall 2011||Anne Mattia, Office of Academic Affairs|
|Spring 2011||Teri O'Brien, Office of Student Life|
|Fall 2010||Josephine Ianieri, Custodial Service|
|Spring 2010||Jim Mullen, Dining Services|
|Fall 2009||Walter Thomas, Office of Mail Services|
|Spring 2009||Barbara Cullen, International Studies|
|Fall 2008||Barbara Quintiliano, Falvey Library|
|Spring 2008||Richard Wack, Center for Instructional Technologies|
|Fall 2007||Domenick Liberato, Falvey Library, Access & User Assistance|
|Spring 2007||Mary Clifford, Office of the VPAA|
|Fall 2006||Annetta Stowman, Connelly Center|
|Spring 2006||Phylis Wright, Falvey Library, Interlibrary Loan Office|
|Fall 2005||Rachel Schaller, UNIT, Instructional Technologies|
|Spring 2005||Sarah Eunice, Graphic Services, Bartley Hall Print Center|
|Fall 2004||Bente Polites, Falvey Library, Special Collections and Reference|
|Spring 2004||Catherine Kolongowski, UNIT|
|Fall 2003||Michael Sullivan, Ground Services|
|Spring 2002||Marybeth Avioli, UNIT|
|Fall 2000||David Goodman, Public Safety|
|Fall 1999||Kitty Fogarty and Floss Croll, Dining Services|
|Spring 1999||Henry Ramsey, Housekeeping|
|Fall 1998||Ed Castrege, Bookshop|
|Winter 1998||Brenda Tribuiani, Dining Services|
|Spring 1997||Joan Lesovitz, UNIT|
|Winter 1997||George Cerio, Maintenance|
|Fall 1996||Therese Dougherty, Library|
|Spring 1996||Harry Gray, Graphic Services|
|Winter 1996||Joan Lynch, Registrar|
|Winter 1995||Carolyn Lea, University Senate & Faculty Senate Secretary|