PRE-HEALTH PROFESSIONS SCIENCE CERTIFICATE
Available On Campus.
Villanova has designed the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate Program in Pre-Health Professions Science to provide a fundamental science education to students preparing to enroll in a health professional school or pursue a career in the health professions. Interested students are strongly encouraged to check the admissions requirements for individual schools and programs relating to the health professions.
Openings for the Pre-Health Professional Certificate program are very limited. Applicants are encouraged to apply early for your best opportunity to secure a spot.
Summer: Feb 1
Fall: May 1
Spring: Oct 1
To earn the Certificate in Pre-Health Professions Science, students must complete 30 credits from the courses below.
A 3.0 GPA is required to earn the certificate. For specific course descriptions and semester offerings, view the Master Schedule of Classes.
Students can align course selections with their professional interests and the requirements of their respective graduate program. Students will plan their course of study in concert with their CPS Advisor as well as the Health Professions Advising Office in CLAS. A total of 15 credits may be transferred in at the time of admission.
BIO 2105 General Biology I (lab included, 4 credits)
BIO 2106 General Biology II (lab included, 4 credits)
CHM 1151 and CHM 1103 General Chemistry 1; Lab (5 credits)
CHM 1152 and CHM 1104 General Chemistry II; Lab (5 credits)
CHM 2211 and CHM 2201 Organic Chemistry I; Lab (4 credits)
CHM 2212 and CHM 2202 Organic Chemistry II; Lab (4 credits)
PHY 1100 and PHY 1101 General Physics I; Lab (4 credits)
PHY 1102 and PHY 1103 General Physics II; Lab (4 credits)
CHM 4611 or CHM 4621 Biochemistry (3 credits)
BIO 1205 Human Anatomy and Physiology I; Lab (4 credits)
BIO 1206 Human Anatomy and Physiology II; Lab (4 credits)
BIO 3595 General Microbiology (4 credits)
CLA 2021 Language of Science and Medicine (3 credits)
PSY 1000 General Psychology (3 credits)
THL 4200 Ethics of Life and Death (3 credits)
BIO 3055 Animal Physiology (4 credits)
BIO 3105 Biostatistics & Exp Design (4 credits)
BIO 3351 Genetics (4 credits)
BIO 3455 Histology (4 credits)
PSY 3200 Human Development (3 credits)
PSY 3700 Abnormal Psychology (3 credits)
MAT 1500 Calculus I (4 credits)
MAT 1505 Calculus II (4 credits)
MAT 1313 Statistics for Life Sciences (3 credits)
STAT 1230 Introduction to Statistics (3 credits)
- To be eligible for this certificate, you must possess a bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited institution.
- You are required to have completed the prerequisites for any course for which you register, as indicated in Villanova's Undergraduate Catalog.
- A total of 15 credits may be transferred in at the time of admission.
- You are strongly encouraged to check the admissions requirements for the individual schools and programs relating to the health professions in which you are interested. (Most of the health professions organization websites provide this information.)
- For more information on heath related science or to contact an advisor, visit the Health Professions Advising Program.
- Check the calendar for events that are coming up for pre-health students.
- Unofficial college transcript(s) documenting the award of a Baccalaureate degree. Official transcripts must be received before registration.
- $50 application fee.
- A statement of purpose describing your career and educational goals, reasons for pursuing the Pre-Health Certificate, and please explain if you believe your transcripts and previous academic history do not present an accurate picture of your academic ability. Your statement of purpose should be around 1-2 pages.