HOST A VILLANOVA EXTERN
Are you interested in hosting a Villanova Law student for an externship? Villanova Law students are equipped to and ready to start learning on day one of their externship. Our students, starting in their 1L year, are exposed to legal writing and research, as well as valuable professional and practical skills, which are an asset to any organization.
An externship is an opportunity for Villanova Law students to earn academic credit by working onsite in an approved placement under the supervision of a lawyer (Field Instructor) and with the guidance of an Advising Faculty Member. As it is an academic program, Villanova has adopted a policy designed to foster and ensure the educational integrity of the externship experience.
According to the policy, the externship host agrees to:
- Commit to supervising for a minimum number of hours on-site during the semester or summer
- Designate one attorney as the supervisor; however, the extern may also work with other attorneys actively involved in the work of the organization
- Involve the student in the substantive aspects of the legal practice. The experience can include, but need not be limited to, several of the following:
- Developing and investigating facts
- Conducting legal research
- Participating in preparing for a legal hearing
- Drafting legal documents, such as letters, pleadings, orders, and briefs
- Participating in or attending sessions in which lawyers counsel clients, witnesses, or others associated with the work of the externship placement
- Participating in or attending negotiation sessions, conferences, or other meetings
- Complete an evaluation of the extern’s performance at the conclusion of the externship
- Comply with the law school’s Non-Discrimination Policy
In accordance with Villanova University Charles Widger School of Law accreditation standards, Villanova uses a memorandum of understanding that defines the roles of the student, supervising attorney, faculty advisor and program director.
If you are interested in hosting an extern from Villanova Law, please contact Matthew McGovern, Director of Experiential Learning, for more information.