Rooted. Restless. The Villanova Strategic Plan 2020-2030
February 22, 2022
Dear Members of the Villanova Community,
In September 2019, we launched our Strategic Plan, Rooted. Restless., a shared vision for Villanova University for the next 10 years. Shortly after the launch, and all of the energy, excitement and enthusiasm surrounding it, the COVID-19 pandemic began. While the pandemic possesses a treading water quality that seems impossible to make any headway; in true Villanova fashion, we have found ways to keep moving forward and make progress.
Today, I am writing to reintroduce—and in some cases introduce—you to Rooted. Restless.The Villanova Strategic Plan 2020-2030, the culmination of the input and efforts of more than 5,000 Villanovans. Rooted in our Augustinian Catholic values, and restless in our desire to ignite change, the ambitious plan builds on our strengths and invests in critical areas to enhance the Villanova experience for all.
Through the work of our Strategic Plan, we aspire to:
- Maximize the impact of our Augustinian values
- Foster a diverse, equitable and inclusive community
- Build an ever more connected, values-driven community
- Advance innovative teaching and learning
- Create dynamic opportunities for research and scholarship
- Propel Villanovans on a path of lifelong success
We will also invest in a wide range of infrastructure enhancements and priorities to realize Villanova’s full potential and thrive—both now and in the future. This includes transforming our academic facilities, extending the University’s commitment to sustainability, continuing to invest in technology and data/analytics, maintaining our strong financial stewardship, and inspiring financial support to fuel the Strategic Plan.
The Strategic Plan priorities have been broken down into 23 initiatives that have been continuously assessed and prioritized based on external factors and the evolving needs of the Villanova community. A detailed overview of our progress to date can be found on the Rooted. Restless. website, but some noteworthy highlights include:
- Creation of a University-wide office of graduate education
- Establishment of the St. Thomas of Villanova Center for the Common Good
- Construction has begun on the Center for Engineering Education and Research (CEER) expansion
- Addition of more than a dozen new, full-time faculty members across five schools and colleges to enhance research and scholarship
- Increased staffing for education, training and student retention in the Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and the Center for Access, Success and Achievement (CASA)
- Adopted a University-wide Sustainability Plan, guided by the principles of Catholic social teachings
- Investment in employee development and retention
- Establishment of a fund to support course development, instructional excellence, technology investments and more.
These examples are just a sampling of the incredible work being done across campus to advance our academic mission and deliver on the goals outlined in our Strategic Plan. I am extremely grateful to everyone involved and for their willingness to move Villanova forward, to advance and ignite change.
I look forward to continuing to share our progress on this ambitious plan. I am confident that, fueled by common goals and a shared belief in Villanova’s mission, we will make this vision a reality. Together, we are the stewards of this great University, and together, we will better serve our students, our community and the world.