Alpha Nu, the chapter of Sigma- nursing’s international honor society based at the Fitzpatrick College of Nursing – held its annual Induction and Awards Ceremony on April 22 in the Driscoll Hall Auditorium. Eighty-four undergraduate and fifteen graduate students were welcomed into the chapter. At Villanova, membership is an honor conferred on students by invitation, following a committee review of qualified students.
The Alpha Nu chapter was established at Villanova in 1966 to recognize superior achievement, leadership, high professional standards, creative work and commitment to the high ideals of the nursing profession among nursing students.
Chapter President Susan K. Meyers, PhD, CPNP-PC, CNE says, “I am thankful for the professional and personal relationships Sigma has provided me and am excited to share this organization of dedicated professionals with the new inductees. The contributions that Sigma makes to nursing depends on the wisdom and achievements of all members.”
In addition to the induction, awards were presented to recognize those whose contributions to nursing fulfill the goals of Sigma. The awardees are:
· Excellence in Nursing Practice - Susan Ballas, MSN, RN
· Excellence in Nursing Education - Margaret G. Lyons, DNP, RN, CRNI
· Excellence in Nursing Research - Amy Witkoski Stimpfel, PhD, RN
· Excellence in Leadership - Anne M. Fink, PhD, RN, CNE
· M. Louise Fitzpatrick Mentorship Award - Carol Toussie Weingarten, PhD, RN, ANEF
· Theresa Christian Service Award - Bette Mariani, PhD, RN, ANEF, FAAN
· Student Vision Award - Caitlin A. Gomes
· Myrtle Feigenberg Undergraduate Student Award - Jean A. Reilly
· Judith Erickson Undergraduate Student Award - Daniel S. Wala
· Joan Large Graduate Student Award - Caroline M. Blessing, BSN, RN.