Thank you for your interest in admission to our master's or post-master's program. You may want to consider making an appointment to discuss your unique situation, qualifications and goals; or receive information about course requirements and tuition. Contact us to schedule an appointment so you can get started. You’ll also want to review the following information:
To be eligible for admission to degree status, potential candidates must submit evidence of:
- A baccalaureate degree in nursing from an NLNAC or CCNE accredited program or its equivalent
- A GPA of 3.0 or above
- A minimum of one year of recent practice (for Nurse Practitioners, a minimum of one year recent clinical practice; for Nurse Anesthetists, one year of critical care experience)
- All non-native English speakers are required to submit either official TOEFL or IELTS results. TOEFL: Applicants must score a minimum of 83 (with 25 in speaking) on the iBT (internet-based test) in order to be considered for admission. IELTS: Applicants must score at least 6.5 overall (7 in speaking band) in order to be considered for admission. When you register for the TOEFL or IELTS, please request that your results be sent directly to Villanova - our institutional code is 2959.
- Satisfactory completion of a statistics course, which includes both descriptive and inferential statistics
- Satisfactory academic record
- ACLS Certification for Nurse Anesthetists only
- Licensure as a Registered Nurse (USA)
Requirements for Graduate Admission
- a completed Online Application for Admission
- a Personal Goal Statement identifying career goals that are congruent with the purposes of the program and indicate appropriate communication and writing skills (for Nurse Practitioners and Nurse Anesthetists, an essay regarding goals and conceptualization of the role of the nurse anesthetist/nurse practitioner in clinical practice)
- an application fee
- Satisfactory performance on the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) is required for Nurse Anesthesia Program
- Applicants to the MSN program who earned a cumulative BSN Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.2 or greater on a 4.0 scale are not required to submit GRE or MAT test results. Applicants who earned a GPA of 3.2 or less must submit GRE or MAT test results. NURSE ANESTHETIST PROGRAM APPLICANTS who earned a cumulative BSN grade point average (GPA) of 3.4 or greater on a 4.0 scale are not required to submit GRE test results. Applicants who earned a GPA of less than 3.4 must submit GRE test results.
- GRE or MAT scores (not required for post-master’s)
- TOEFL or IELTS* (non-native English speakers)
- transcripts from all schools attended
- three (3) letters of recommendation* from professionals who are in a position to judge your performance/professional skills
- copy of current RN license
- admission interview for Nurse Anesthetists ONLY
- Upon acceptance, a comprehensive criminal background check through Complio (Villanova's online compliance tracking service) is required.
International Students Admission
Get International Students Admission details here.
Transfer of Credit
A maximum of six graduate credits may be transferred, including credits earned in other colleges or schools of Villanova University. If transfer credit is requested in lieu of required courses in the program, a course syllabus and transcript must accompany the request.
All requests for transfer must be submitted in writing to the Program Director after admission to the program. Only courses taken prior to acceptance into the Graduate Nursing Program may be transferred.
- To apply to the master's or post-master's program, complete the specific College of Nursing Graduate Program Online Application for either the master's or post master's tracks, along with three (3) letters of recommendation.
- If applying to the Nurse Anesthesia master's or post-master's program, please complete the specific Nurse Anesthesia master's or post master's Online Application, along with three (3) letters of recommendation. Applicants to the MSN in Nurse Anesthetist program who earned a cumulative BSN grade point average (GPA) of 3.4 or greater on a 4.0 scale are not reuired to submit GRE test results. Applicants who earned a GPA of less than 3.4 must submit GRE test results.
- Submit completed online graduate application with required documents to the Nursing Graduate Program Office by the application deadline (July 1 for the FALL semester, November 1 for the SPRING semester and April 1 for the SUMMER term). If applying to the Nurse Anesthesia master's or post-master's program, the application process is based on rolling admissions so that applications are reviewed as they are completed and then qualified applicants are invited to interview. Completed applications should be submitted after one year of full time employment in an ICU is completed. Applicants are encouraged to complete the application process in a timely fashion to be considered for an interview. When a class fills, applicants are then interviewed for the following admission year and are placed on a waiting list.
College of Nursing
Graduate Nursing Program
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085
- Your application will be reviewed.
- You will be notified, in writing, of your acceptance into the program.