Assistant Professor of Law
Director of Clinic for Asylum, Refugee and Emigrant Services (CARES)
Daniel Cortes is a lawyer whose work focuses on the intersectionality of immigration and social justice. Daniel was born in Colombia and migrated to the United States at a young age with his family. His personal experience as an immigrant has shaped his passion in advocating for an equitable immigration system. His legal career has focused on a holistic centered approach and community empowerment. He is passionate about advocating for creative and systemic solutions to immigration issues. Daniel directs the Clinic for Asylum, Refugee and Emigrant Services (CARES), where he teaches the clinic seminar and supervises student advocates working on asylees and their families.
Prior to clinical teaching, Daniel was an Immigration Rights Attorney at Community Justice Project, specializing in the intersectionality of immigration and collateral civil issues ranging from housing, public benefits, licensing, employment, and administrative law. His practice focused on a holistic legal aid model, aimed at educating and meeting multiple client needs.
Prior to Community Justice Project, Daniel was a staff attorney at Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, focusing on expungements, housing, unemployment, and community education. He is a graduate with honors of Florida International University College of law, where he was the Student Bar Association President. Prior to law school Daniel was a 6th grade math teacher under Teach for America in North Miami, Florida.
- Community Justice Project (CJP), Reading, PA - Staff Attorney
- Legal Aid of Southeastern Pennsylvania, Norristown, PA - Staff Attorney
- US House of Representatives, Representative Debbie Mucarsel-Powell, Miami, FL - Legal Intern
- Pennsylvania Legal Aid Network, Reading, PA - Legal Intern
- Federal Public Defender, Miami, FL - Legal Intern
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida, The Honorable Darrin P. Gayles - Judicial Intern
- Center for Court Innovation, New York, NY - Legal Intern