WHAT IS FACTSET
FactSet provides extensive financial data on markets and companies, which allows users to monitor global markets, perform in-depth analysis, and develop investment strategies. Many of the features and options in FactSet are similar to those of Bloomberg with a slightly different user experience.
WHERE TO ACCESS FACTSET
There are FactSet workstations on all Gmelich Lab computers in Bartley Hall (logged on with our generic credentials) or you can access online at FactSet.com with individual credentials – see below.
HOW TO SET UP A FACTSET ACCOUNT
If you don’t already have an account from class, create one. You will be prompted to fill out a form, follow the steps using your Villanova email. Please note that upon completion of the form, your ID will be processed within 7-10 business days.
- Use the search feature by clicking on the magnifying glass in the upper left-hand corner of the dashboard
- Use the top tab menu system to navigate to different markets and content areas.
Access learning content including certificates at learning.factset.com. Can be really useful for learning the basics and more advanced FactSet features. Use your FactSet credentials to logon.
HELPFUL TIPS AND FUNCTIONS
While you are using FactSet, the blue F button is your best friend. From the menu, you can launch and manage your workspace, components, tabs and sub-tabs. Here is a summary of some basic functions of each main category:
- Learning Portal: Now accessed online. See below
- Today’s Top News: Find market news, company news, investment researches and content online.
- Markets: Access world market data, including indices, gainers & losers, volume, economic reports, etc., and compare market performances and countries data.
- Quotes: Monitor market data (with Market Watch), and access equity, option and futures quotes and historic prices.
- Charting: Chart market data and economic series
- Economics: View calendar of economic data releases, access Economic information by country/region and access economic data comparisons and estimates.
- Industry: View overviews, financials and reports on sectors, industries and regions.
- Company/Security: Access all the available information, estimates and valuations of public and private companies, private equity and venture capital funds
- Filings: Search for corporate filings and transcripts including all regulatory filings
- Screening: Screen for equities and ideas (potential investment opportunities, find potential buyers, track trends, and identify precedent transactions)
- Portfolio: Create, track and evaluate portfolios and/or custom composites in real time.
- Ownership: Research ownership details, recent activity and key ownership statistics about a company, officers and directors affiliated with public and private companies and private equity firms
“As two former bond traders, Victoria and I experienced first-hand the importance of technology in capital markets and the growing need for students to be conversant in coding.”
– Justin Gmelich ’90 VSB
Currently, the lab is open to all during the hours below.
9 a.m.-10 p.m.
9 a.m. - 3 p.m.
12 - 9 p.m.
For students interested in R and Python assistance ask about peer tutoring and certificates via email or in person.
Current Villanova students are encouraged to attend workshops focusing around data, coding and technology.
The Wildcat Fund is a student-run equity fund that provides a unique hands-on learning