Unit Updates, September 2017
Welcome to the UNIT Updates webpage where UNIT will display monthly updates on services and solutions, projects, new UNIT initiatives and relevant UNIT information for the Villanova Community. Please let us know if you have any comments or ideas for future issues.
Augustine's Confessions 2.0
UNIT in collaboration with ACS and the Augustinian Institute are proud to release version 2.0 of Augustine's Confessions for iOS. This new version, which is used by all first year students takes full advantage of the native features of an Apple device and features the book, commentaries, galleries, and many more! The App is available for download HERE.
Villanova Stickers Now Available
UNIT partnered with creative services and advancement to publish Villanova Stickers to the iMessage store. These stickers are currently exclusive to 1842 day donors.
New Wildcard Merchants Fall 2017
The Wildcard Office is pleased to announce the following new Wildcard merchants for the Fall 2017 semester. You can now use your personal Nova Bucks or Departmental cards at:
- Dunkin’ Donuts- (Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Wayne)
- Harvest Seasonal Grill- Radnor
- Margaret Kuo’s- Wayne
- Vic’s Sushi to Go- Rosemont
Keep checking the WildCard homepage for new additions to the outside merchant program!
Classroom Upgrades Summer 2017
In coordination with Facilities Management, below highlights some of the summer classroom updates for campus:
- Bartley 2044, 2045 and Student Study Room 2055 were renovated this summer. Each classroom now features 3 70” Full HD displays, allowing faculty to duplicate content for instruction or separate it for collaborative learning exercises. The systems also incorporate HD lecture capture to record rich multimedia content for on-demand viewing. Multiple glass writeable surfaces and modular furniture provide a more flexible environment allowing for a customizable teaching and learning experience.
- Seven classrooms were renovated in John Barry Hall. The updated classrooms each feature new furniture-matching lecterns, Full HD projectors, and premium switchers that provide faculty and students with a variety of wired connections to the projector in the classroom. This upgrade now brings these classrooms in line with our Tier 1 standard across campus.
- A pilot project in Tolentine 213 was completed this summer to help to inform future classroom renovations within Tolentine Hall. In response to a faculty survey, the Office of the Provost partnered with Facilities Management and UNIT to complete an update of the instructor and student learning experience. Most notably, this classroom now features a large writable whiteboard surface, mounted on a track system, that also provides access to a vibrant 90” Full HD display. This was designed to provide instructors with the benefit of a customizable mix of technology and writing surfaces. Further, the student seating has been upgraded and allows for a more flexible arrangement to support a broader mix of pedagogies.
New Vendor for Dell Equipment
The Procurement Office and UNIT are pleased to announce that Connection (formerly GovConnections) is now the University’s vendor for Dell equipment purchases. With this partnership, Connection is providing the University significant savings on equipment and individualized customer support to assist with the purchasing process. Connections is a NovaBuy punch out vendor with Villanova standard models selected, tested and supported by UNIT featured on the site home page. Ordering is extremely user friendly and a VU account representative is available to provide a high level of individualized support. Please visit the Procurement website for more information.
IT Security: National Cyber Security Awareness Month 2017 Champion
Villanova has once again become a Champion of National Cyber Security Awareness Month (NCSAM) 2017. It will be joining a growing global effort among businesses, government agencies, colleges and universities, associations, nonprofit organizations and individuals to promote online safety awareness.
As part of Villanova’s NCSAM efforts and as an official champion, Villanova ecognizes its commitment to cybersecurity, online safety and privacy. UNIT will make available a variety of cyber security safety resources during the month of October 2017! So stay tuned as always to the UNIT’s social media channels, including our Tech Zone’s Facebook and Twitter feed, as well as campus-wide digital signage. For more information about NCSAM and the Villanova’s participation in the Cyber Security Awareness Champion program, visit staysafeonline.org/ncsam.