How to Protect Your Account
Duo Security uses two-factor authentication to confirm that the person trying to access your accounts is you.
- When you visit a secured Villanova Application, you provide something you know. Your Villanova Username and password.
- You verify who you are with a device such as a smart phone, tablet or cell phone
- You are then granted secure access to that specific application.
We are using duo security as a safeguard against cybercrime. This will protect students, faculty and staff.
- Passwords aren’t enough anymore. Over the past few years, identity theft and phishing crimes have increased exponentially in higher ed.
- By verifying your identity Duo adds another layer of security to the various systems you access that house sensitive information.
- Once you have enrolled you will be able to deny access to your accounts using your duo-enrolled devices if someone is trying to log in as you.
Duo Frequently Asked Questions
- What is two-factor (Duo) authentication and why is Villanova using it?
- How do I get Duo?
- What if I do not have a mobile phone?
- What if I lose, break or my mobile phone or it is stolen?
- What if I get a new mobile phone?
- What systems utilize Duo two-factor authentication?
- How do I connect to Gateway using Duo Two Factor authentication?
- Can I use Duo traveling internationally?
Passwords are becoming increasingly easy to compromise. They can often be hacked, guessed or stolen--you might not even know who else has your password. Duo two-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your account to make sure that it stays safe, even if someone else knows your password, by using your phone or other device to verify your identity. You will be alerted right away (on your phone - mobile or landline - or tablet) if someone tries to log in using your password. This prevents anyone but you from accessing your accounts.
Duo's self-enrollment process makes it easy to register your phone or tablet and install the application on your device. To begin the enrollment process, please see the Duo Self- Enroll for device-specific installation instructions.
You can use a landline or a tablet. Duo also lets you link multiple devices to your account, so you can use your mobile phone, a landline and/or tablet.
Contact the TechZone via email or call 610-519-7777, immediately if you lose your phone or suspect that it has been stolen. The device will be disabled for authentication and you will be assisted in enrolling another phone/device. While it is important that you contact the Tech Zone if you lose your phone, remember that your password will still protect your account. Once you obtain a new phone you can add your phone by logging into any site that requires Duo and clicking on My Settings and Devices.
You can go to my nova to duo self-enroll and add your new device and re-activate your account.
vDesktop, gateway, Office 365 access for specific departments, server authentication for certain Engineering servers, Dropbox, & Lastpass. UNIT specifically uses DUO for Banner 9, Workday Dev, and Directory Tools.
We suggested the easiest way for faculty and staff to access our Gateway VPN is to install Pulse Secure. See link for instructions.
You can use Duo while traveling internationally. If you have a wifi connection you should be able to receive a duo push. If you believe the country is considered to be high risk please contact the TechZone to verify and get permission.
Need Help with Duo?
- Call the TechZone for assistance with Duo at 610-519-7777.
- Check out the links under the DUO for VU on the right hand side of the page for some helpful documents