Housing Selection and Assignment Process
Step 1 - Complete and Submit a Housing Contract
All students eligible for on-campus housing must complete and submit a Housing Contract which can be found on the Housing and Dining Web Page.
- Freshmen who are admitted as residents will be able to access the Freshman Housing Contract after May 1st and/or once their Admissions Deposit is received. Click on the First Year Housing link for more information about the freshman housing assignment process.
- Rising Sophomore residents will be able to access the Rising Sophomore Housing Contract after the start of classes in January. Housing selection for Rising Sophomores takes place in March. Click on the Rising Sophomores link for more information about the sophomore housing assignment process.
- Rising Junior residents will be able to access the Upper-Class Housing Contract after the start of classes in January. Housing selection for Rising Juniors takes place in late January/early February. Click on the Rising Juniors link for more information about the junior housing assignment process.
- Rising Senior residents will be able to access the Senior Housing Contract in late September. All Rising Seniors are eligible to apply for on-campus housing. While a fourth year of housing is only guaranteed to students who were admitted to the University under a special scholarship or program guaranteeding an extra year of housing, students interested in residing on campus for their senior year may participate in the Senior Housing Lottery. Students who do not receive housing via the lottery can request to be placed on a housing wait-list.
- Transfer students are not guaranteed on-campus housing upon admission to the University. Residence Life will maintain a housing wait list for the 2021-2022 academic year for transfers who submit an Admissions Deposit.
Step 2 - Housing Assignments Step 3
- Freshmen are assigned housing and roommates based on gender, date the Housing Contract is submitted, enrollment in designated Learning Communities or Special Interest Housing Options and - when possible - preferences specified in a questionnaire that accompanies the Housing Contract.
- Upper-class students who complete the housing application and contract will subsequently be issued a computer-generated random housing selection time. Separate selection times are generated for male and female students. Please note: Factors such as previous housing assignment, assignment to a converted triple room, difficulties with roommates, facilities concerns, academic standing, participation in special activities and other factors are not considered when generating selection times.
Step 3 - Students Select Housing Online at Designated Time
Upper-class students will be able to choose their housing assignment and roommate(s) online on the Housing and Dining Web Page at their designated housing selection time. The roommate with the earlier selection time will be able to secure housing for himself/herself and all of his/her roommates.
- Rising Seniors will select in late October/early November.
- Rising Juniors will select in February.
- Rising Sophomores will select in late March/early April.
Please note: The demand to reside in certain halls, especially The Commons, Sullivan and Sheehan Halls and the West Campus Apartments, often exceeds the capacity of those halls. It is possible that students with a later selection time may not secure their first or second choice of housing. It is important that students have thought about other housing options beyond their first or second choices.