Check-Out Information

When do I need to be out of my hall or apartment?

All non-seniors and/or students not required to stay on campus for graduation activities must move out of their room or apartment by Saturday, May 11, 2019 at 12:00 noon. Students approved to remain for Senior Week must vacate their housing assignment by Sunday, May 19, 2019 at 6pm.

Back to Top

Do I need to complete any paperwork before I go?

Resident Assistants will hold floor meetings to review University Check-Out procedures.

Before Leaving Your Room/Apartment:

  • Make sure all trash has been removed from room/apartment 
  • All personal items have been packed - check all drawers to be sure you haven't forgotten anything
  • Do Not Leave Carpets or Extra Furniture Behind    

When you have checked your room/apartment and are ready to depart, review the Express Check-Out Form posted beside your room/apartment door.

  • Check the "to do list" on the sheet to make sure you have completed all the items listed. 
  • Sign the sheet as you depart from your room/apartment. 

Back to Top

What do I need to do to my room or apartment prior to leaving?

All University furnishings present in your room/apartment at the time of check in must be in your room/apartment when you depart. Replacement costs will be assessed for all missing furniture. All furnishings must be returned to their original positions in your room/apartment.  If you have "unbunked" your beds, please do not "rebunk" them. "Rebunking" beds without the appropriate hardware has resulted in a number of injuries to custodial and maintenance personnel over the years. Please be considerate of the safety of these individuals.

Back to Top

What should I do with furniture to be thrown out and trash?

Furnishings and other items which are the personal property of residents, such as couches, chairs, rugs, and shelves must be removed from your room/apartment prior to departure.  Dumpsters will be located near your hall to assist you with the disposal of these items. You will be assessed a labor charge for the removal of all personal items left in your room/apartment. As removal costs for items/trash pushed out into the hallways or left in stairwells will be assessed against all residents of a floor or building, please do not dispose of your items/trash or allow others to dispose of theirs in this fashion.  All decorative items such as corkboards, mirrors, shelving, posters, hooks, and contact paper must be removed. Decals, stickers, marks, tape, adhesive, nails, "Stick Up" Air Fresheners and lettering on ceilings, doors, furniture, walls and windows should be cleaned off and/or removed. You will be charged to remove, clean and/or repair damage from these items.

Back to Top

How can I avoid paying room/apartment damages?

The majority of the most common tasks or repairs assessed are avoidable. Below is a list of the most common items which students are assessed for at the end of the year. All costs are calculated by the Facilities Management Office.

  • Furniture - Significant scratches, removal of contact paper, stickers, hooks and nails, burn marks and repairing broken drawers, shelves and doors; Missing Furniture
  • Carpets - significant staining or tears.
  • Walls - wood planks, extraneous shelving and brackets and miscellaneous building materials.
  • Carpet remnants, couches, chairs, and other non-university furniture.
  • Excessive trash in room – papers, books, food items and clothing.
  • Removal of decals, stickers, “Fun-Tack”, posters, tape, mirrors, contact paper, cork boards and other items from windows, doors, walls, ceilings and furnishings.
  • Removal of University furniture not assigned to the room/apartment - lounge couches, chairs and tables, conference room chairs. Material and Labor Charges
  • Repair of holes, significant scratches, stains and/or damage to walls, doors, floors and ceilings.*
  • Students’ unsuccessful attempts at repairing the above.
  • Repainting over writing on memo boards outside of room.

*Please do not attempt to mask damages by attempting to spackle and repaint your room.  This often results in having to repaint the entire room and the cost will be assessed to the residents of the room/apartment.


  • Failure to Remove Trash from Room/Apartment
  • Excessive Cleaning Fines - Room/Apartment Dirty Beyond Normal Wear & Tear
  • Fire Safety Violations

Back to Top

How can I avoid paying common area damages?

There are a number of ways to avoid being assessed floor/wing and common area damage. • If vandalism has occurred on your floor or within your building and you know who is responsible, we encourage you to approach the individual(s) and ask them to come forward. If this is not possible, please report the situation to your RA. These actions must be taken prior to the close of school and the departure of residents, so issues can be appropriately resolved while students are present.

Back to Top

What about trash in the common areas?

Do not throw trash or discard personal belongings (i.e. couches, textbooks, carpet remnants, paper) in the hallways. If excessive trash is found on a wing or hall, the entire floor will be assessed a Custodial Service removal charge.

Back to Top

How will I know if I have been assessed a charge for damages?

As required, end-of-year charges for room, floor and common area assessments will be included as a part of a student’s account balance and billed by the Bursar’s Office in late June. Residence Life will post on-line statements itemizing specific charges for each student and/or building in late June. You can view these damage statements through the Villanova Housing Web Page -


Back to Top

Is there storage available?

Due to space restrictions, storage is not available on the University campus.  However, storage is available in the local area or through outside vendors. Please click here for more information.

Back to Top