Hazing is strictly prohibited by Villanova University. Individuals and organizations found in violation of these policies will be held accountable. Permission or approval by a person being hazed is not a defense. Students joining clubs or organizations on campus should not tolerate such behavior, as it does not promote relationship-building and trust, and rather serves to break down morale and the notion of community upon which Villanova University was founded.
Code of Student Conduct - Hazing Policy
Hazing is absolutely prohibited. For purposes of Villanova's Code of Student Conduct, the term 'hazing' means any intentional, knowing, or reckless action or situation that, for purposes of initiation or admission into or affiliation with an organization, or as a condition for continued or enhanced membership in an organization, endangers the mental or physical health, safety, well-being, or dignity of an individual, or destroys or removes public or private property.
Hazing includes, without limitation:
- Any brutality of a physical nature, such as whipping, beating, branding, forced or coerced calisthenics, or exposure to the elements;
- Brutality of a mental, emotional or sexual nature;
- Forced or coerced consumption of any food, alcohol, drug or other substance;
- Sleep deprivation;
- Forced or coerced exclusion from social contact;
- Forced or coerced conduct which is illegal, indecent, obscene, or could result in extreme embarrassment;
- Any other forced or coerced activity which could adversely affect the physical health, safety, mental health, or dignity of an individual or group;
- Any other conduct prohibited as hazing under applicable State or Federal law.
Any activity as described in this definition shall be presumed to be forced and/or coerced, the willingness of an individual to participate in such activity notwithstanding. Permission or approval by the person being hazed is not a defense.
In the case of individual students, violation of this policy may result in the full range of sanctions under this Code, up to and including suspension or expulsion, as well as removal from the organization, community service, or restitution. In the case of organizations, violations of this policy may result in the full range of sanctions under this Code, up to and including suspension or loss of recognition, as well as community service or restitution. The prohibition against hazing applies to acts conducted on or off campus. For more information please view the University's full Anti-Hazing Policy.