Policy on Single- User, Personal Mobility Devices
Use of a single-user, personal mobility device must be approved through the Office of Disability Services and be registered with Public Safety including:
- Name of individual operating unit
- Make, type, and serial number of the device
- Proof of insurance and/or liability, if appropriate
- Designated/approved plan for parking and storage
Specifications and Identification
- Only electric or battery powered mobility devices are permitted in or near College buildings. Gasoline powered mobility devices are NOT permitted in or near campus building
- Mobility devices should be equipped with an audible warning device that will sound whenever the cart is placed in motion and/or be able to alert pedestrians that the device is approaching.
- Villanova University shall permit individuals with mobility impairments to use wheelchairs, scooters, or other similar devices designed for use by individuals with mobility impairments in any areas open to pedestrian use.
- Villanova University shall make reasonable and appropriate modifications in its policies, practices, and procedures to permit the use of single user, power-driven mobility devices by individuals with disabilities, unless the University can demonstrate that the use of the device is not reasonable or that its use will result in a fundamental alteration of the College’s service, program, or activity.
- The operation of single–user, power-driven mobility devices should be permitted by individuals with disabilities when it is reasonable to assure access and participation in a service, program, or activity. The use of mobility devices is restricted to designated routes.