Process to Start a New Student Organization
Welcome to the Office of Student Involvement! The following is an outline intended to provide you with resources and information on how to effectively become a recognized student organization at Villanova University.
- Complete the petition found below to start a recognized organization.
- Student organizations must be initiated, organized and run by current matriculated Villanova students.
- Obtain 12 names, email addresses, and signatures of interested members.
- Only faculty, staff, and registered students shall be eligible for active membership status in student organizations. Only full-time students shall be eligible to serve as appointed or elected officers in registered student organizations.
Note: In order to serve as an officer of an organization, students must be fully enrolled in classes on campus. They cannot serve if they are participating in an internship or studying abroad.
- Create a one page proposal highlighting the mission and goals of your student organization. Please attach this to your petition. Become familiar with the Villanova University mission statement and Student Involvement’s mission statement, so that the purpose of your organization will be congruent.
- Schedule a meeting with Office of Student Involvement to discuss the new student organization petition. Your advisor is welcome to attend this meeting. Please email: email@example.com to set up a meeting time. Here you will talk through your new organization with a staff member. In addition, the Office of Student Involvement will then assist in setting up a meeting with the Student Government Association (SGA) for student leaders and the Office of Student Involvement to hear a presentation on the mission and goals of the new student organization.
- Before your proposal with SGA, prepare a short presentation explaining your new student organization’s mission, purpose, goals, anticipated membership size, and possible events and activities. During this presentation also include your proposed budget to assist in carrying out the mission of your new student organization. SGA has a suggested outline to follow for your presentation.
- Subsequently, and in private, the Office of Student Involvement and SGA will mutually approve or deny the new student organization petition within a week of the presentation.
- When the new student organization is approved, the student organization will then be an Associated Student Organizations which have all the privileges and expectations of registered student organizations for 30 days.
- During this 30 day Associated Student Organization status, student organization leadership will have a budget through the Office of Student Involvement, set up the student organizations VU Groups account, and work through their Constitution and By-Laws. The Student Organization Manual is available online at villanova.edu/studentorgs and copies in 102 Dougherty Hall as resources for Associated Student Organizations.
- After the 30 day trial period, Associated Student Organizations must set up a meeting with the Office of Student Involvement. During this meeting Student Involvement will review the past 30 days as well as collect the Constitution and By-Laws, which will be reviewed during the meeting.
- After a meeting with the Director of Student Involvement, a letter will be sent to the student organization leadership and advisor updating their status as a recognized student organization. status.