Thank you for your willingness to serve as a student organization Advisor!
Selection of an advisor is generally done through the mutual consent of the student organization, the proposed advisor, and the Office of Student Involvement. See below for a list of expectations in supporting students within student organizations.
Expectations of an Advisor
Specific functions of the advisor are listed below. Individual organizations may expand upon these through their constitutions.
- The advisor should be aware of the organization's meetings and activities. He/she need not attend all of these activities but a frequent visit is appropriate.
- The advisor should meet with the executive committee of the organization a minimum of once per month during the academic year. Executive committee meetings are ideal for establishing a meaningful working relationship.
- The advisor should obtain minutes of all organizational meetings for review.
- The advisor must be registered as the Faculty/Staff Advisor on villanova.edu/studentorgs, giving them access to a complete officer and membership list with addresses and phone numbers.
- The advisor should be aware of financial transactions of the group and their budget status. The advisor should periodically review club finances with the organization treasurer or business manager. Please visit the Office of Student Involvement – 102 Dougherty Hall for assistance.
- The advisor should be knowledgeable of the organization's purpose and constitution and help the general membership adhere to them in decision making.
- The advisor should be aware of the student organization’s financial status, spending and account balances.
- The advisor may assist the students in adding the role of the Advisor to the Constitution and Bylaws. This should include the selection process that the student leadership team will use to select their Advisor.
- The advisor must be present at:
- Any organization function held on campus, at which alcohol is served.
- Any outdoor event held on campus.
- Any event that is more than 300 miles away from campus.
- Any event while non-Villanova students will be present.
- The advisor should serve as an academic resource for the organization, ensuring that no one in academic difficulty serves in a key office, and offering assistance to any group members who are in need.
- The advisor is encouraged to discuss the annual report that is filed each Spring Semester with the Office of Student Involvement.
- Approve and submit newswire posts.
- Log into MyNova and on the “Home” tab and see the “Links” section on the left hand side. In the “Important” tab scroll down to the Newswire Submission forms section to click on the “Wildcat Newswire” link.
- The advisor should direct students to the Office of Student Involvement – 102 Dougherty Hall to approve all tee-shirt designs, flyers and fundraising events.
- The advisor should attend the Advisors’ eetings to support the student organization.
- The advisor should be in contact with the Office of Student Involvement with any concerns or questions.
- Advisors should assist students with leadership transition from year to year.
- Advisors are not expected to:
- Attend all events and meetings.
- Lead meetings.
- Dictate use of funds.
- Use personal credit card/money.
- Plan events for student organizations.
- Sign any contracts/agreements on behalf of the university.
- Submit or complete budget request, registrations or final report.
- Serve as the Primary Contact on the student organization webpage.
In the event that your group is not satisfied with the level of support from the organization’s advisor, or the Advisor has concerns about the student leadership, please set up a meeting with the Director of Student Involvement, whose office is in 102 Dougherty Hall.