Athletes compete in six sports (bocce, powerlifting, long distance running/walking, soccer, volleyball, and roller skating) each year at Fall Festival hosted on campus.
In addition, athletes can participate in fun activities in Olympic Town (located in The Quad), dance the night away at the Victory Dance, celebrate others' victories during competition and award ceremonies, visit specialists at the Healthy Athletes venue, and witness the magic of Fall Fest at Opening/Closing ceremonies!
Athletes & Schedule
Our Committee is foremost concerned with making sure all Special Olympics athletes have an amazing experience at the Fall Festival. As a result, the Committee annually invites Athlete Representatives to attend our meetings and confer with the Management Team in the planning and development stages of the Festival. This way, we can ensure that an athlete perspective is provided for all the decisions we make.
Meet Our Athlete Reps!
Athlete Representative - Dan Kolb
Dan has been involved with Special Olympics PA for 46 years in a variety of sports! Not only has he been involved with Special Olympics for longer than we've had Fall Festival at Villanova, he's competed in swimming, track, field hockey, floor hockey, basketball, soccer, and tennis!
4 More Things You Didn't Know About Dan:
- He enjoys hanging out with all of his friends and his family
- He loves travelling, when he gets a chance to between SpO events!
- In his off time, he loves to play tennis (the athlete in him never quits!)
- Dan also likes to watch TV and go to the mall
Athlete Representative - Ron Nagel
Ron has been an athlete for 18 years with swimming, volleyball, soccer, and skiing. He is now part of our committee dealing with the management of competition. Ron meets with the Volleyball committee each week.
4 More Things You Didn't Know About Ron:
- His hobbies include listening to pop punk music
- His favorite musical artists are Green Day and Paramore
- He is also involved with running a radio show on campus through WXVU!
- Ron is very active, outgoing, and a public speaker
Athlete Representative - Don Haffelfinger
Don became involved with Special Olympics in 1994. He has competed in track & field, bowling, basketball, tennis, and his main sport: soccer.
3 More Things You Didn't Know About Don:
- Don bowls in a winter league outside of SpO
- He is a great public speaker
- He has competed in the World Games in Connecticut for soccer