Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Who is considered an "international student"?

An "international student" is one that is not a United States citizen or permanent resident (green card holder) and requires a student visa (F-1 or J-1) to study in the United States.  US citizens and permanent residents residing abroad will be reviewed by the international admission staff.

Back to Top

Is an English proficiency test required?

Applicants for whom English is not a native language are required to submit results from the TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System). Some exceptions may exist. Please see the Application Process for Undergraduate International Students page for more details and requirements. Villanova University does not offer an intensive English program. You may wish to consider ELS Language Centers prior to applying to Villanova University. 

Back to Top

Can I be considered for advanced credit?

Villanova University recognizes the rigors of the Advanced Placement (AP) program, the International Baccalaureate (IB) and other international curricula such as the British 'A' levels, the French Bacalaureat, the German Abitur, etc. Students who have taken these courses and excelled in their studies may be considered for advanced credit or placement.  In order to be considered for advanced credit or placement, students must submit official exam results which in turn will be evaluated by the appropriate Dean of the college to which they have applied. If advanced credit is considered, the courses will be entered into the student's record with Villanova credit but without a grade. In some cases, the advanced placement course will allow the student to place out of a lower level course but will not be counted as credit.

Back to Top

Is there any financial aid available for international students?

First year undergraduate international students are eligible to be considered for limited need-based aid, merit based scholarships, and athletic scholarships. Students may also apply for loans and participate in the University's tuition payment plan. For more information, please visit the Financial Assistance website.

Back to Top

What support services are available to international students?

Villanova University is committed to the success of each and everyone of its students.  For this reason, there are numerous places students can turn to for support, a helping hand, or word of advice.  As an international student, one of the most important offices you will come in contact with is the Office of International Student Services.  The advisors here will help you with many issues such as cross-cultural adjustment, integrating yourself on campus and visa issues.

Back to Top

Can I work on campus?

Students who are awarded need-based assistance have the opportunity to work on campus during the academic year.

Back to Top

What is the Form I-20?

The Form I-20 is the document issued by Villanova University and required by the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) in order for you to acquire your student visa (F-1).  This document is issued to admitted students after they have demonstrated sufficient funding by submitting the Certification of Finances form and a bank letter.  To learn more about the visa application, please visit the United States Department of State web site, which is sponsored by the United States Department of State.

Back to Top

Where else can I turn for help?

For support in your home country, you may wish to contact your local Education Advising/Information Center, sponsored through the U.S. Department of State. Here you can learn more about the U.S. education system, where to take required tests (SAT, TOEFL), and get information about applying for your student visa.

Back to Top


Office of International Students
Connelly Center 2nd Floor
Villanova University
800 Lancaster Avenue
Villanova, PA 19085


The International Student Office exists to serve our students. We enjoy whenever our students stop by to visit. 
To schedule an appointment call:
610.519.4095 or 610.519.8017